Looking for Octo holder that fits Aqualung ABS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recommend a variation (Trident Slide-in Octo Holder) on the one in your link. It is very similar, also by Trident, but in my experience is a bit more durable.
All of the Tridents listed here seem like they would work good. However I use the one quoted here. I can't complain about them because they are so cheap and work so good but they do tend to break so buy a few.

I use the silicone snorkel keeper trick, and I guess there's a chance that it could slip off the D-ring when you pull the octo out... but when you pull the octo I would think it would actually tend to tighten the loop around the D-ring. I guess I'll have to try it several times in a row next time I'm in the water and see how stable it is.

I was going to get all three of the Ocean Enterprises holders that different people suggested and do a side by side report. I figured for $12.85 it would be cheap, fun and informational. Then I saw that their cheapest shipping was $32.28! At this point I think I'll go to the hiking store and buy $5.00 worth of bungee cord and make up my own.

So do I understand this correctly? The large end goes through the small end around a D ring or similar, and the octo then goes in the large end?

Yes that is what to do.

But notice there is this option as well:

I recommend a variation (Trident Slide-in Octo Holder) on the one in your link. It is very similar, also by Trident, but in my experience is a bit more durable.

Have not seen this one in action, but it does look like it would be better for attaching and detaching from rental gear, than the small hoel one. I don't know how pop-off free it is in practice. The business end (the big rectangular bit where the mouthpiece goes in) works the same on all three versions.

The version of either the small round hole of the flat slot type might not be as quick to attach as the one with the flat plastic clip (first one I linked). But the trade off for the clip type is the extra dangle from the length of the clip itself. In practice, that extra dangle is not a huge deal for most people, but it is there. Both the round hole, and the slot version would shorten the dangle but make it not as quick to fasten to the BCD.

When I am forced to teach/guide in rental gear and not my own, I use the clip version, because I am dealing with a bunch of sets of gear, and I have to get it on and off fast. I can clip off a bunch of the clip version to throw on divers gear to solve danglies.

I too used to use Chunky snorkel keepers but I kept having to buy new ones to replace the ones that pooped themselves free. I did not actually use those for snorkel keepers so I was buying them just to use as octo holders. Once I used the yellow square stretchy one for a while, and found it lived up to the rigors of people stretching them ridiculous length to fit the mouthpiece in, and seeing it be both secure and easy to use, I was sold. For me, having the plastic clip makes it so I can store instantly deployable spares on my gear, so I go with the clip.

---------- Post added June 24th, 2013 at 09:14 PM ----------

All of the Tridents listed here seem like they would work good. However I use the one quoted here. I can't complain about them because they are so cheap and work so good but they do tend to break so buy a few.

Where are you getting your breaking on these from? The mouthpiece end? The first time I saw someone stretch that poor square end out four inches I was sure it was going to break, but I have yet to have one snap on someone.

Which means that there might be slightly different grades/batches of the silicone in different brands or maybe even in different batches. Because, as I mentioned, mine have been impressively durable. If the brand matters, mine are all Trident. Cannot imagine the brand matters since they probably come out of the same factory at this price point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom