Looking for recent Costa Rica Dive Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basically all the diving is done on the Guanacaste side since the currents are very very strong on the other side. I've never heard of anyone diving on that side or seen anyone diving there.

vjongene:
I do not want to hijack this thread, but I am also planning a family vacation to Costa Rica over the next Holiday Season, so any additional advice would be welcome. My son and I are seasoned divers, and are hoping to go to some of the more "advanced" spots around Drake Bay etc. We will probably have a rental car, and be touring the country for 2-2.5 weeks, staying at different places along the way.

Thanks already.

4 of us celebrated the Millenium New Year in Drake Bay at Jinetes de Osa . Had some quite good dives. Canos Island has some very interesting dive sites, and good hikes too, as it is a bird sanctuary. Paddling a kayak up one of the crystal clear streams that flow down to the Pacific from the forest is a magical experience. Corcovado Nationa Park is just down the coast to the south.

Drake Bay is mostly a fringe of beach, backed by unspoiled rain forest. Very remote, it can usually only be reached by boat from the village of Sierpe, down the river of the wame name. We flew in to Palmar Sur from San Jose, then a cab (?) to Sierpe.

Deep Blue huh? They killed someone last year, check out this link... http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=46261&highlight=costa+rica

Scuba65:
Hi, I've used Deep Blue Diving in Playa del Coco, and have also used Ocotal Diving...not within the past 6-12 months though. I do say that both were very good the times i've used them..with no problems at all. though Deep Blue Diving is a bit cheaper than Ocotal Diving. I had dove Bat Island & Catalina Island when I had just gotten certified and I had no problem. A good place to stay that I recommend to stay at since i've stayed there multiple times is a place down the road from Deep Blue and it's called www.FlordeItabo.com it's a very clean/cheap place and the people are very nice I believe they also offer diving if i'm correct. The rate exchange right now is at about $1.00 for 436 + colones...though the dollar is accepted everywhere same as credit cards. well, if you have any more question..dont' hesitate to ask. Good Luck

Just curious, I looked through the thread that you pointed out, it never mentioned the dive operator. Was there some other post that pointed out that Deep Blue was the company?

I just returned from Costa Rica last week. Spent 4 days in Tamarindo and 4 days in Playa Hermosa. My, brother, an occasional diver, wanted to do some surfing in Tamarindo. We did dive one day from there with Agua Rica. They are a small outfit, with a small boat. We went to the Catalinas and the small boat made for a rough crossing. Plus, the divemaster puked several times. Seasickness? Our first dive at the Cats was OK. Saw quite a bit of life but nothing big. The current was strong on the surface and we encountered quite a few thermoclines. On our surface interval the wind really picked up (the Papagayo winds at this time of year) and the rough seas forced us to move closer to shore. The second dive we did not see much at all, and we encountered some surge that the divemaster had not informed us of. If you are going to be in Tamarindo try Pacific Coast Divers. They seem to be a more professional outfit with a bigger boat to make it to the Cats. We picked a rough day for diving the Cats. I would like to dive it again because I think we missed out

While staying in Playa Hermosa I checked with Diving Safaris (Bill Beard’s). They really seemed like a first class shop. Unfortunately for me they had had a large group come in and were full. They recommended Resort Divers out of Playa Del Coco. Resort Divers actually puts out of Playa Panama. I can recommend them. Good divemasters, good equipment, good boat. The dives in Papagayo were very good. We saw an abundance of sea life: rays, coronet fish, puffers and schools of grunts, etc. The sea conditions were smoother too. The only drawback was the thermoclines. On one dive the water temp dropped to 64 degrees. Even the divemasters were talking about how cold the water was. I had a full 3mm suit and hood. I am pretty lean so a 3mm was not enough for me. If you chill easily you’ll definitely need more than a 3mm! Even at the beach the water in the Gulf of Papagayo was colder than farther down the peninsula.

All in all the diving was very good. Visibility probably averaged 20 feet but the sea life more than made up for that. Reminds me of home in Washington! I will definitely go back to CR someday when I can dedicate more time to diving. My girlfriend is a non-diver so we needed to do some land-based stuff. The Playa Hermosa/Playa Del Coco area was very laid back and low-key, Tamarindo bigger with more nightlife. They are very close to Liberia if you fly in there. We had no problem using US dollars; you’ll get Costa Rican colones back in change. We only found one restaurant that did not take credit cards and that was because they were new and apparently did not have a phone line yet.

Playas del Coco is know as "the" diving in Costa Rica, except for the Coco's ilands of course, but as mentioned before, it's a live aboard trip.
The viz changes daily and it's the worst in winter time, but the fish make up for it. Winter time is for manta's, whales, and whale sharks. The white tip and stingrays are here all year round. May is not the rainy season, and this year the rain was pretty mild. We had some showers in september/october, but only in the late afternoon. Coco is the place with the least rain of all of Costa Rica, but this year was really dry. (not too good, because we need the water to have enough for the winter months)
IN the firat week of may we are organisiing a dive festival check out www.divefestival.bravehost.com the dive shops in Coco are working together to make Coco a great dive spot. There will be all kinds of activities. So you can enjoy yourself.
Happy diving

I have dove with Deep Blue in Coco and Aqua Center in Flamingo, they are both good ops. AC even took me out when I was the only one diving, very good of them I thought. Deep Blue has recently changed ownership but still has much of the same staff.

I understand this thread is a bit old but as people are always looking for information on CR I thought I would add somethings.

I have used Diving Safari's/Bill Beard's a couple times. Really great outfit. If you need to rent they have it and it is good condition, no worries. You are briefed on all dive sites, so you will know what to expect. Once I stayed during the rainy season which I personally found prettier than peak season. The mountains are nice and green. I however, was very lucky as it didn't rain.

As for places to stay; http://www.villadelsueno.com/rates.htm This place is fantastic. If you choose not to leave the hotel there are no worries as they have an excellent restaurant on the premises. Menu cost varies. You can get a cheap burger or an expensive steak. It is up to you. The place is new and additions were still being made, last I checked. They have regular rooms as well as efficiencies. Lovely staff. Will do anything to make your stay the best.

I have been to the Drake Bay area last December diving Cano Island and stayed at the Agula De Osa....loved the area....the diving had only about 15 to 30' vis...but the waters were filled wih Marine life.

Back
Top Bottom