Looking for recent Costa Rica Dive Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stayed at the Agula De Osa in Drake Bay last year one of my favorites places ever....but vis was only about 15'-25' at Cano....lots of stuff in the water....just could not see much of it.

Am in Playas del Cocos, Misdirected. By the way, good name, given the nature of your question!!! :wink:

Johnny, the water temp today was 26 celcius, do your own math!

Wishing you all good vis
Simon

guides; they are located on the main strip in Tamarindo. My sons and I had a terrific time.

Toni of Agua Rica is a terrific DM. You can dive to the limit of your air and computer, even if she has to ascend multiple times with other divers in current. The six Catalina sites we dove were all very good. One of them, Las Tetas, had the stereotypical Costa Rica viz of 40' with thermoclines, both vertical and horizontal of 82 F to 70 F. The other dives, however, had visibility ranging from 60-100 feet and temps from 79-83F. Toni said the El Nino was "to blame" for the warm, warm water and terrific viz.

I've never seen more big schools of big fish, not in Indonesia, not in Fiji, not anywhere. The dives are worth doing for this alone, especially The Tooth, The Dangerous One, Dirty Rock and the main big Catalina rock sites. As for smaller stuff, the walls of hanging anemones and ball corals were beautiful and there were scorpionfish and four types of moray everywhere. Blennies a quarter inch long were peeking out of every surface.

Drop a line if your need more info.

Jetlag....Have you done a trip report on this Holiday? if not when did you go? What types of big schools of fish did you see? Where did you stay? When you say you saw more than what you have seen in Indonesia have you been to the Raja Ampat area? Appreciate any info.

I may give CR another try....Loved the Drake Bay area but no vis and just could not see anything!

the vis is hit or miss in CR at all dive spots I have been to(and Ive been to most) if you go again try giving it a few different days of diving or spread them out, ie 4-5 days apart. When you hit a day with good vis, its really good.

Jetlag, call me old fashioned, but surely diving to the limit of computer and air, in current and making multiple ascents whilst leaving the rest of the group underwater are not particularly good diving practices... maybe she needs to take more staff with her on dives and be conservative??
Just a thought.
Simon

1. old enough to be responsible and have a brain
2. thousands of dives at catalinas leading groups in the last 13 yrs
3.guess that with great viz , experienced divers, diving more days with me, could stay 1min by themselves alone in 30ft of water while I ascend with somebody. this is our service and never got problems, that'it
Toni

Utila Simon:
Whale Shark on Catalinas this morning... yum!

OMG, just a few more days. :multi:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom