Looking for suggestions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all!

Taking my 16 year old twins to the Bahamas in July. I had them do an intro dive through Padi in Hawaii a few years ago and the've both expressed interest in diving more on this vacation. Wife and I want to island hop a little too. So here is my question:

Any suggestions on a destination / resort / LDS for us? Turks and Caicos may be a god option, Id love to do Cuba but concerned about the legality. I'd look to either certify the kids or do "intro dives" with them, and probably stay a few days? I'm an experienced diver but the Mrs has no interest in it so a live aboard is out.

Ready GO! and thanks in advance.

Hello all! Taking my 16 year old twins to the Bahamas in July. I had them do an intro dive through Padi in Hawaii a few years ago and the've both expressed interest in diving more on this vacation. Wife and I want to island hop a little too. So here is my question: Any suggestions on a destination / resort / LDS for us? Turks and Caicos may be a god option, Id love to do Cuba but concerned about the legality. I'd look to either certify the kids or do "intro dives" with them, and probably stay a few days? I'm an experienced diver but the Mrs has no interest in it so a live aboard is out. Ready GO! and thanks in advance.

It sounds like you are trying to pack a lot into one family vacation, including island-hopping to multiple countries and dive training/certification, and making sure that your wife will have opportunities to enjoy herself topside while others are training and diving.

How many days have you planned for your trip? And before you schedule any island-hopping flights, keep in mind that the "wait to fly rule" after diving may apply.

What island are you visiting in the Bahamas? There are many opportunities for dive training in the Bahamas as well as chances to visit other Bahamian islands if you wish. There can be quite a few cultural differences and "personality quirks" between the various Bahamian islands in my experience. And interisland travel is usually a lot easier than going through immigration and customs multiple times.

If they have time before you leave, your twins might want to complete much of the training for certification close to home and then do their checkout dives on vacation. That will save vacation time.

Provo in the Turks and Caicos is lovely but there are likely to be long boat rides to the better dive sites and that will eat up a lot of vacation time, while your wife waits for the family to return.

Grand Cayman offers many dive training opportunities, and lots of topside activities for your wife, and you can connect to Cuba quite easily from Cayman, but again, that's an awful lot of stuff to pack into a single vacation that started in the Bahamas, IMO. And you probably don't want to spend a lot of your precious vacation time packing and unpacking and hanging around airports and standing in customs and immigration and security lines, correct?

I am actually a fan of multi-island vacations, but we are both divers so that makes it easier, and we plan at least 2 weeks and try to keep it simple, like Grand Cayman and Little Cayman, or Oahu and the Big Island, or St. Martin and Saba.

Cuba, T&C, and other exotic locations will still be there for future trips and they will be so much fun after your kids are certified! My advice is to focus on the Bahamas and teaching your twins to dive and making sure that the entire family has a great and relaxing trip - that sounds like plenty for one vacation - but that's just my opinion, have a wonderful time!

Last edited:
Hi there. Grand Cayman is a great place to learn to dive. Great conditions and super easy shore access for training dives. You can fly direct from Bahamas to Grand Cayman on British Airways if you were thinking about island hopping. Sunset House has great options for accommodation and training.

Is it too late to get them certified in Oregon?

Coldwater diving experience puts them ahead of the curve when they jump into tropical waters.

You can fly direct from Bahamas to Grand Cayman on British Airways
just an fyi, that flight next month is $500 (x4)
Capture.JPG

In the Bahamas you might be able to move inter-island via the ferries - Bahamas Ferries - We Make the Connection

Beaches on Provo (T/C) has their own dive operation. They're PADI for the kids certification and list some of the better diving at French Cay/West Caicos for after they are. It's not all deep wall diving, i did some shallow solo diving (above 60') while there. Plus they dive locally off Provo which can also be shallower.

Nassau has 2 dive operations, Stuart Coves or Bahama Divers. Both pick up locally at Paradise Island/Cable Beach Hotels - Coves is a further ride to the south side. Coves usually has a few pkg. deals listed on their site also.

Freeport has similar options - IIRC every dive operation there is on a resort property. Some of the smaller Bahamas Islands are similar.

most are listed here: Bahamas Government Portal - Welcome to Bahamas Diving

Last edited:
just an fyi, that flight next month is $500 (x4)...In the Bahamas you can move inter-island via the Ferries - Bahamas Ferries - We Make the Connection

Bahamas Air and Cayman Airways also fly between NAS and GCM but the prices are in the same range, $500 per person.

Island-hopping can be fun, but it has been my experience that interisland travel is usually much easier and cheaper than international.

Last year it only cost us $110 US roundtrip per person to fly from Grand Cayman to Cayman Brac. The flights were only 30 minutes long and there was no need to go through immigration and customs again; and our temporary Caymanian driver permits were still valid so that was easy, too.

It was quite painless and we were back on vacation in no time - but we were on a different island with a different culture.

There are many unique differences among the various Bahamas Islands, too.

I haven't priced it recently, but in the past we have done some reasonably-priced, easy flights between 2 Bahamian islands on Bahamas Air.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom