Looking for tech instruction in AZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Contrary to what my avatar suggests, :D
my buddy and I are looking into deco/advanced nitrox diving. We would love to hear any recommendations in terms of instructors in AZ, preferably in the Tucson or Phoenix area.

Academy of Scuba - Instruction only;
Academy of Scuba: Phoenix AZ - Arizona's Dive Training Choice!
TDI Instructors and Instructor Trainers
PADI DSAT Instructors
Full Disclosure - I am a tech instructor and owner with the Academy.
Comments: Can get you through Trimix and Advanced Wreck Diving.

All Wet Scuba
Brett Borchers PADI Course Director and DSAT Instructor
All Wet Scuba - Your guide to the best Scuba diving in Arizona
Comments: Brett is one of the best tech instructors I know. Good friend too.

El Mar
TDI Instructors (not sure about DSAT)
Interested in Arizona scuba diving? Visit El Mar Diving Center.

NDepth Scuba
N Depth Scuba - Home
Comments: Not sure if they are TDI or DSAT. Looks like they have an Intro to Tech program coming soon.

Scuba Sciences
Scuba Sciences
John Sampson
SSI / ANDI / DIR-F

Scuba Specialties
Izzy Benaroe and David Jordan
Scuba Specialties - We'll Dive You Crazy! - Home
Comments: Izzy and David are good friends and great instructors. Steven Feltner is a great tech instructor. He taught IANTD. Don't know if they are offering class or not.

Basic Nitrox is a prerequisite. I usually recommend a Solo Diver course to start off. I would suggest combining (TDI) Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures. Get some dives in and head towards Trimix after some experience. Some other great courses to complement your tech diving: (1) wreck diver, (2) advanced wreck diver, (3) cavern to full cave. Rebreathers are also a great way to extend your dive skills.

Remember this is a path. Training, experience and practive are key! Don't rush through it. Truly master the skills along the path! Meet with your instructor and discuss your goals and objectives as a tech diver.

Be safe. Hope this helps. Hope I didn't forget anyone.
If I did; feel free to add to the list!

jcf

Last edited:
I believe that John Sampson (he shows up here from time to time) teaches some technical courses out of Scuba Sciences. I believe they're ANDI courses. Scuba Sciences also arranges DIR-F classes, which is something that won't do you any harm if you're going the technical route.

Kangy on this board owns Submersion scuba. I think he may do some tech classes. Most of his stuff is one on one or small classes.

Jeff

I dove with Kangy last Febuary in San Carlos. He is very patient and knowledgable besides just being a general nice guy. If tech is your interest he is who I'd call.

Thanks to everyone for the kind remarks and feedback,

Unfortunatly I am not a technical instructor. I only offer recreational level classes with a technical mindset to them. I can help prepare you for your technical diver training by putting you on what I feel is the right path but I can not conduct any courses above the recreational level.

I have plans for the future once I gain more experience to eventually take my technical instructors course but for the time being I'm just taking my time and enjoying training quality divers in private/semi-private classes at the recreational level while I improve my technical diving skills in preparation for the future transition.

If you have any prepatory questions or are looking for guidance or advice on 'transitioning to tech' I will be happy to help out.

Good luck on your quest, and above all respect your limits and respect the water.

Dive Safe,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom