looking for the Holy Grail+Unicorn+Mermaid of dive destinations for August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aruba has great topside amanities/activities and very good diving on the Southwest Side (not a ton of sites, but enough to keep you busy for a week) - reefs are healthy, tons of fish life and several wrecks (including airplanes). It's mainly boat diving - very few diveable shore sites. The tradewinds there also keep it comfortable, even though it might be hot.

Aruba is sounding more and more interesting! Does the diving tend to be rather "wavy and surgy" (or rough!) because of the winds?

Since shore diving is not common this may not be an issue, but is Aruba also plagued by the frequent property theft problems that are unfortunately so common on Bonaire and Curacao?

Aruba is sounding more and more interesting! Does the diving tend to be rather "wavy and surgy" (or rough!) because of the winds?

Since shore diving is not common this may not be an issue, but is Aruba also plagued by the frequent property theft problems that are unfortunately so common on Bonaire and Curacao?
It varies, but can be a little rough (swells/waves) at times. I have not seen any big surge issues on the boat dives - only on a shore dive at Baby Beach on a rare diveable day there. The first year I was there was the worst sea conditions I've had there, but still manageable (and once under, diving was good):
This year, currents were moderate to strong on most dives on Southwest side, where as last year, they were light, at most. It's definitely worth a trip, in my opinion.

As the only shore dives I did were guided, I did not get a good picture of crime - but I'd say you would have the same petty crime issues since the shore dive sites are not in the tourist areas.

BTW - I've dived the last 4 years there with JADS dive center. Nice people - nothing fancy but they get you to the good sites.

Some Aruba underwater sights (I really need to edit the tons of clips I have into 1 highlights video) :

Port Vila in Vanuatu will suit your wife's requirements, heaps of accomodation choices from luxury bures to private islands, USD is in your favour, nice wrecks in Vila Harbour and it's the beginning of spring.

You could squeeze in a trip to either dive the Coolidge or go to Tanna to see the worlds most accessible continuously erupting volcano.

Lax - Fiji - Vanuatu.

Diving is fairly diverse, good shallow wrecks, pretty enough coral sites and chance to see dugongs and turtles. Very easy diving and lots of sightseeing opportunities in the islands of Vanuatu but Vila would be the logical base for your wife.

<<Temperature is subjective of course, but 80 degree water is a 5mm for me, with a heated vest if I'm doing several hour+ dives daily for a few days.>>

Just realized that the OP posted this. They'd be pulling me out of the water with heat exhaustion so OP obviously is completely acclimatized to heat and humidity. You would do fine on any island but the only sure fix for the wife is a room on the beach or on the water itself. The ocean breezes are her friend. With all things equal vis a vis heat, distance is your only issue with the closest places being, of course, most expensive.

My (non-diving) wife & I love Cozumel in Dec/Jan, though I get cold in the water after a few days of diving and the air/humidity are approaching my wife's comfort limit. I'd be happy to go there in August, but the weather wouldn't be any fun for her while I'm underwater.

I'm looking for something that may not exist, but here goes...

Any suggestions for a dive destination for August with:
  • warm water
  • pretty fishes
  • land-based accomodation
  • reasonably convenient from East-coast US for a 6~10 day trip
and...wait for it...here's the hard part...
  • moderate temperature & humidity topside
Thanks,

Mark

@rmssetc, I was just wondering if you have decided on a destination for your August trip?

<<Temperature is subjective of course, but 80 degree water is a 5mm for me, with a heated vest if I'm doing several hour+ dives daily for a few days.>>

Just realized that the OP posted this. They'd be pulling me out of the water with heat exhaustion so OP obviously is completely acclimatized to heat and humidity. You would do fine on any island but the only sure fix for the wife is a room on the beach or on the water itself. The ocean breezes are her friend. With all things equal vis a vis heat, distance is your only issue with the closest places being, of course, most expensive.

I'm like the OP - I use my 5mm year round on Grand Cayman - water temps generally from 79 to 87. In addition to the winter months, we are usually there for a couple of weeks in July or August (end of July this year), and I have no problem with the temp and humidity. My non diving wife does not tolerate the heat and humidity as well as I do, but she is fine as long as she can sit on the beach in the shade or jump in the water during the day.

My (non-diving) wife & I love Cozumel in Dec/Jan, though I get cold in the water after a few days of diving and the air/humidity are approaching my wife's comfort limit. I'd be happy to go there in August, but the weather wouldn't be any fun for her while I'm underwater.

I'm looking for something that may not exist, but here goes...

Any suggestions for a dive destination for August with:
  • warm water
  • pretty fishes
  • land-based accomodation
  • reasonably convenient from East-coast US for a 6~10 day trip
and...wait for it...here's the hard part...
  • moderate temperature & humidity topside
Thanks,

Mark

Many thanks to all who responded.

Short answer:
Just got back from Aruba. Nice time, lovely hotel, nice Div[ing] with Clive.
The full trip report will have to wait a few days until I crawl out from under the avalanche of email and do some photo editing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom