looking for the Holy Grail+Unicorn+Mermaid of dive destinations for August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To meet your temperature and humidity requirements you really only have 2 options...

1. Go to the Southern Hemisphere. It will be early spring there. Ie Australia average Temps in August of 60f.

2. Go higher up the Northern Hemisphere. It will be cooler. Ie St Lawrence Seaway. Has warm waters with air Temps in the 70's. Also close to Niagara Falls. So plenty for the wife to do.

Just a couple ideas...

To meet your temperature and humidity requirements you really only have 2 options...

1. Go to the Southern Hemisphere. It will be early spring there. Ie Australia average Temps in August of 60f.

2. Go higher up the Northern Hemisphere. It will be cooler. Ie St Lawrence Seaway. Has warm waters with air Temps in the 70's. Also close to Niagara Falls. So plenty for the wife to do.

Just a couple ideas...

Warm is a relative term but he is also looking for tropical water temps! I'm really getting interested in Aruba, it may not be the Holy Grail of diving, but there is popular coral reef and wreck diving available and it seems to tick all of his other boxes; with the added benefit of low risk of hurricanes.

Last edited:
The St. Lawrence is in the mid to upper 70's that time of year. With drifts and wrecks. Temperature is subjective of course, but 70 degree water is a 3mm for most people.

The St. Lawrence is in the mid to upper 70's that time of year. With drifts and wrecks. Temperature is subjective of course, but 70 degree water is a 3mm for most people.

I agree, but the OP said that he gets cold in Cozumel in Dec/Jan and is looking for something warmer in the summer, but without oppressive heat and humidity topside, so I rather doubt that water in the mid to upper 70s is what he is hoping for.

I'm not saying other places do not exist just throwing some ideas around. The OP does live 7hrs driving time from Montreal. With plenty of surface activities for the wife and himself. They could stay busy for 6 to 10 days. Enjoy some diving. And save money on airfare. With moderate weather. Seems like it meets all the requirements. Minus large colorful coral and 100ft Vis you would get in the Caribbean.

Just trying to iterate that you don't have to fly around the world, when there are options in your own back yard. So to speak.

And the wife is limited to the boat but it is a much cooler environment, personalized service
And the wife gets to sit on the boat - unless it's the Cuan Law - while he does 4 dives/day and talk about diving with the other divers the rest of the time. It;s not exactly like taking a cruise.

Which brings up another Tahiti option - Paul Gauguin Cruises - Home

Last edited:
Temperature is subjective of course, but 70 degree water is a 3mm for most people.
Temperature is subjective of course, but 80 degree water is a 5mm for me, with a heated vest if I'm doing several hour+ dives daily for a few days.

Bonaire is a diver's delight, but probably not that much to do for your non-diving wife. Diving in Curacao is very similar to Bonaire, although likely not quite as many shore dive locations, but there is more to keep your wife occupied and happy there than in Bonaire.
Aruba has great topside amanities/activities and very good diving on the Southwest Side (not a ton of sites, but enough to keep you busy for a week) - reefs are healthy, tons of fish life and several wrecks (including airplanes). It's mainly boat diving - very few diveable shore sites. The tradewinds there also keep it comfortable, even though it might be hot.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom