looking for travel BCD but do not like wing style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have any input on travel BCDs that are jack or vest, really do not like the wing style. Found that out with the jetpacks we bought love their traveling ability hated the bcd, it is great if you like the wings and don't have alot of chop. So do not think I am bad mouth them, if you love the wing style bcd they could be great for you.

Just out of curiosity can I ask why you don't like wings?? Not flamming or trolling, merely curious.

Cheers

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you change you mind you may consider the Aqualung Zuma I have for sale right now. See my signature

What size is it? Looking for a XXS for my 15 year old.

Since you already have the BC, if you haven't already it might be worth working on your weight distribution, more in back. For tropical diving - no suit, AL tank - my back inflate sucked on the surface until I got this right. If you've already tried that, never mind. :wink: (I would never be one to tell someone back inflate is the solution to all problems, because it isn't. Or one of those people that insist a back inflate does not push you forward, because in some configurations it does. The "lean back on the raft" thing obviously works for some people, but not me either.)

If the 6-9 foot conditions you are talking about are at home and especially if you're diving cold water with more weight, maybe you should be considering different setups for home and travel and not trying to make a travel BC do stuff it's not good at? With proper weight distribution, would your travel BC work where you travel? If so, instead of looking for a travel friendly jacket you should just be looking for something that works well in your home conditions.

I have a scubapro geo (same as the Go minus the integrated weights), in the water I can't tell at all that it's a travel BCD. Folds flat as a pancake and weighs 4.5 pounds. I've packed my DR transpac and wing before but it takes up a lot of space, I just take the geo when I travel now.

If you're looking for an inexpensive but relatively light BC, consider the Aeris EX100. It is about 6+lbs depending on size. Light enough to travel and durable enough for cold water diving. This is not a fancy BC but a very competent jacket that I use for warm water and NE diving. Only things I have done to modify the jacket is to add positive clip locks for the trim pockets on the back (a must) where velcro is used and added a crotch strap. Other than that I have been very happy with the jacket. I've looked at all the other travel jackets at the time and found them insufficient in different areas for things I wanted in an overall jacket. The EX100 had everything except for what I added. It is an excellent value for what you get.

I think the OP wants a travel Jacket since the Jetpack is a back-inflate wing. So is the Covert - Zeagle doesn't make anything else.

Here's some options:

SCUBAPRO - GO
SCUBAPRO Equator BCD, Black/Red at LeisurePro
Cressi Travellight BCD 2013 at LeisurePro

Never used any of them - I'm a back-inflate person.

It seem that people are either turtle or Otters me I'm an otter floating on the surface with head well out of the water is the way I want to be when the boat is hard to find and the waves are high.

---------- Post added May 27th, 2014 at 02:37 PM ----------

If you are feeling like that you don't have the weight distributed properly, are using too much weight requiring you to over inflate the wing, or have not been shown how nice it is to just lay back and relax like you are on a raft. Or maybe a combination of the above to some degree. 6-9 ft seas you should be carrying a large SMB and audio signaling device. It also helps to know where the boat is at all times from under the surface. Or at least what direction it is in. With a steel plate, a few pounds on the cam bands if necessary, and having just the right amount of weight to begin with a back inflate will not try to push you face forward or "drown you". A diver does that themselves when they are not using the gear in the right way with the right set up, weighting, and technique.

Have tired all of that 30 dives on it and it still face plants you when you getmore than you chin out of the water in the back raft position you have to kick like a madman to stay there with the jetpack.

---------- Post added May 27th, 2014 at 02:47 PM ----------

Just out of curiosity can I ask why you don't like wings?? Not flamming or trolling, merely curious.

Cheers

Mike

Well I can say that they are great underwater lower drag and all that but on the surface I have never found a wing style bcd that I did not think was tiring to drown me. I know I have had many dive master change the wieght and the spacing and wave magic bead that the bcd. Nothing I have ever found has corrected the problem for me. Sadly, every so often I think that maybe I have reach a point were I can totally fine with it and try a wing style for a short period of time. If the sea are flat and there is no current not a problem, But that is generally not the case. When that swelled are 6 to 9ft are the current is up. I always have trouble staying faceup with a wingstyle.

---------- Post added May 27th, 2014 at 02:50 PM ----------

What size is it? Looking for a XXS for my 15 year old.

The jetpack is one size fits all, Totally adjustible from xxs to xxl got one for sale but will tell you that is also tend to let the tank bang you in the head

---------- Post added May 27th, 2014 at 02:54 PM ----------

Since you already have the BC, if you haven't already it might be worth working on your weight distribution, more in back. For tropical diving - no suit, AL tank - my back inflate sucked on the surface until I got this right. If you've already tried that, never mind. :wink: (I would never be one to tell someone back inflate is the solution to all problems, because it isn't. Or one of those people that insist a back inflate does not push you forward, because in some configurations it does. The "lean back on the raft" thing obviously works for some people, but not me either.)

If the 6-9 foot conditions you are talking about are at home and especially if you're diving cold water with more weight, maybe you should be considering different setups for home and travel and not trying to make a travel BC do stuff it's not good at? With proper weight distribution, would your travel BC work where you travel? If so, instead of looking for a travel friendly jacket you should just be looking for something that works well in your home conditions.
Sadly it was a trip to Florida

We've got 90+ dives on our Go's. Love'em! My son has a Zuma XXS only because it was the only WI BCD that small. He's still using it 3yrs later at 13yrs old, but it's sorely lacking in detachment points. It's an OK BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom