Looking forward to DMC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jardine

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm getting ready to take my rescue diver course this winter and looking forward after that to DM. What do most people pay for the DM course? The LDS charge $500 for the course plus books. Also, do most DMC buy their course books from the LDS or from a source like Leisurepro? I've read a few reviews on LeisurePro that said the Divemaster crewpak didn't have all the required slates they needed. Can anybody comment? The LDS said the books run about $500 for everything required and I'm hoping to save some $$ on the books.

Thanks,
Jardine

There is no problem buying the books on the Internet as long as the product version is the latest available from your training agency
be very careful with 2nd hand material on eBay for this very reason

Support your lds/place you are doing course.
Sure you may save a few $.
It would be like arriving at a restaurant for a meal with your own wine.
There are different levels of DM manual packs one can buy just the manual alone,not enough to get you through the course,or manual with dive knowledge work book etc etc,then of course one set which includes instructor manual.
The choice is yours,depending how far you are going to work up the ladder of PADI learning if going on to instructor at a later date go for the complete set.

I guess I got a smokin' deal. I paid my LDS $400 CDN and it included books and slates. I support my LDS when ever I can. My guess is the low cost (as well as the other discounts) is to compensate the soon-to-be DM's when they are assisting classes without getting paid.

The course material is based on the mandatory material and as well as whatever the instructor deems necessary. Although you might save some bucks on the material you may show up lacking a few bits and pieces.

Support your lds/place you are doing course.
Sure you may save a few $.
It would be like arriving at a restaurant for a meal with your own wine.
There are different levels of DM manual packs one can buy just the manual alone,not enough to get you through the course,or manual with dive knowledge work book etc etc,then of course one set which includes instructor manual.
The choice is yours,depending how far you are going to work up the ladder of PADI learning if going on to instructor at a later date go for the complete set.

Just as Duncan wrote...if you plan on actually using the dm certification at the LDS that taught you,get your products there and do not even ask about online sources..even more so if you are going on to instructor and want a job there.
Show up with materials from elsewhere and they will most likely teach you the course,but do not expect to be offered any classes/job if and when you become an DM or instructor.

I paid about $1,100 for course and books - DM Pack with Manual, Workbook, and Instructor Manual.

Support the LDS since you will be working with them and now that you are a pro you will have a different perspective. The LDS that I am out of also gives the DMs and Instructors and 30% discount on equipment, free equipment service and free air fills (you have to fill them but no big deal). That gets my support and a reason not to buy on the internet

My Course was $500 at my LDS plus another $185 for the DM Crew Pack. I agree with most that you should support your LDS. A little loyalty goes a long way. If you dont support them they may dissapear and then you will be stuck buying everything online. What you usually save in taxes the S&H makes up for it and then if there is a problem, returning items is usually a pain in the :mooner:. JMHO

Well I guess at least my LDS is about in line with everybody else. I have been supporting the shop for some big ticket items like my newest dive computer. I didn't ever want to have to mess with trying to return something like that to an online retailer. I do buy a few things every so often from the shop but I was really shocked when they told me how much the books were going to be for the class.

Thanks for all of your input...

Jardine

Back
Top Bottom