Looking into going to Diving School, which one do you suggest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone on here attended (or is attending) the Florida State University Coastal and Marine laboratory school or Pro Dive International (located in Fort Lauderdale) or if someone has a better school to suggest I would really love to hear about your experiences.
Thank you!:blinking:

If you want a referral to good instructors in this area, PM me

I'm looking to become an underwater photographer as well as film sharks and other sea life. I asked about Florida State University Coastal and Marine laboratory because the information on their website was vague. As much as I would love to become a Marine Biologist I don't see that in the cards. I have a degree in Film and Video Production and I have studied photography in Europe as well as here in the states, however I don't have the experience I would like to film/photograph underwater. Someone stated above that there are plenty of dive shops in my area that I can go to, that is true however the place I went to (I check it out with the better bureau business and read plenty of good reviews). Long story short I was owned two pool sessions, I did'n get them, the owner/teacher told me I was ready to dive, I told him I wasn't, but he insisted I was, we went out to dive and I choked/threw up into the regulator. Since I'm not a quitter I hung in and received my certification. After that experience I looked around for other shops, each one had something bad to say about the others. I live by the rule that you should never talk trash about your competition because you never know who your telling it too. In short I'm looking for a place that will teach me underwater film/photography

Last edited:
In short I'm looking for a place that will teach me underwater film/photography

Please do yourself a favor and become a very good diver before ever diving with a camera. It will be critical to your success in underwater film/photography.

FSUCML does do some scuba training, but in the context of the degree/research programs. So since you've already graduated, unless you want to do graduate work there, I don't think it'll be the right choice. If you do want to work with filming sharks, you could contact one of professors there and see if there are any projects related to that. That would probably get you a good thesis topic right there, but would be more relevant to someone who has some background in science. You can occasionally also assist with projects if you're not a student, especially on a volunteer basis, since most profs don't have a lot of extra grant money floating around, but it also depends on what kind of projects are going on. You could also possibly work with the film department, if there are any underwater projects. But I wouldn't think they'd be interested in a shark movie without a script of some sort. And you do need to be a pretty decent diver.

The class they offer is pretty intense, a semester long(so about 12 weeks), and 4 credits, which can be pretty expensive if you're not in-state. Also, it's a 4000 level class, which means senior level, so I'm sure there are written papers and tests required. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that by the end of the class you will be well trained, and a certified science diver, which you probably could use when you find that professor doing research on sharks.

RJP has offered the best advice so far for your situation as it appears. Taking a camera, especially a video camera, underwater and expecting to find work with it will be next to impossible unless your diving skills are way above and beyond the average recreational diver. Until you can say they are then you will most likely be wasting your time. It doesn;t matter how good a photographer you are on land. Underwater if you can't hold still in the water column, stay off the reefs, and know more or less instinctively what you need to do when actually diving, taking a camera is not only unlikely to result in bad shots or a poor product but could also very likely make you a risk to your self and those who dive with you.

As for shops badmouthing each other- welcome to scuba. I have seen alot of this and just take it with a grain of salt and for the most part ignore them, get what I need, and leave the rest behind. Have you tried contacting an independent instructor who is not tied to a shop for their teaching. Many of us do not agree with shop policies and time limits, as well as pushing useless gear off on students.

We teach because we like to do it. Find an independent instructor and interview him/her as if you were interviewing any employee. Because that is what they are when you contract with them. Yes they are teachers, but unlike your teachers in High School who have the mistaken belief that they are the boss, your instructor works for you! Or at least they should feel that that way. Many do not. Many think they work for the shop. But shops would not exist if you did not give them your money so you are ultimately the boss.

This is not a radical idea. I learned this at the age of 8 when I started working for my grandfather in his grocery store. Ask your instructor what he will teach you and how. How long will it take? Will he/she take your interests and needs into account in your training? I do this for my students beginning with OW. Will they make you take classes you don't need and try to justify it as necessary? There are number of independents on this board who will tailor training to your needs. It may cost a bit more, but it may not. If you find an instructor who really loves filming UW and looks for every excuse to do it you may have found the person who will be your greatest teacher because they have the passion for it and passing it on actually benefits them.

I use a point and shoot digital to just document things and show my wife who cannot dive. I do not have the passion for UW photography/videography and therefore do not think I'd be a good instructor for that itself. So I do not teach it. What I do have a passion for is good buoyancy control, trim, and UW Navigation. Things that would be very useful for a photographer. For the video part I'd try to find you someone who was an EXPERT ( not someone who took an 8 hour seminar to be able to teach it) for that even if they were normally my competition.

If you find an instructor who says they can teach it to you ask if they would go for a dive with you. Then watch them. How is their buoyancy control, do they rush around, do they stay with you? Then if you are ok with that ask to see their work, what they may have published, is it displayed publicly anywhere. Ask how long they have been filming. While they do not need to be a Cathy Church they should have some stuff that you would say was good enough to be on tv or in an exhibition. I'll never be that because it does not interest me and I don't want to take the time or spend the money to do so. Ask him/her what they consider to be the most important aspect of filming underwater. I don;t know what they consider to be the right answer but for me it would be the same as any other diving related activity- Safety, Responsibility, Awareness, and Buoyancy Control.

RJP has offered the best advice so far for your situation as it appears. Taking a camera, especially a video camera, underwater and expecting to find work with it will be next to impossible unless your diving skills are way above and beyond the average recreational diver. Until you can say they are then you will most likely be wasting your time. It doesn;t matter how good a photographer you are on land. Underwater if you can't hold still in the water column, stay off the reefs, and know more or less instinctively what you need to do when actually diving, taking a camera is not only unlikely to result in bad shots or a poor product but could also very likely make you a risk to your self and those who dive with you.

/QUOTE]

I'm glad to know that every time I see a good photo taken underwater that an absolutely excpeptional diver, one with exceptionally better skills than most recreational divers, was behind it. I find this an especially important piece of info after recently being on a boat with a diver who could not assemble her own gear, was uneasy about doing a giant stride, and had no clue how much weight she needed. But, she took some great underwater shots on that dive that we were all able to enjoy on our surface interval. I guess instead of assisting her on the boat I should have been asking her for diving advice.

I did not say a newbie could not take some good shots. She was asking about training to make a living doing it. And how many of those great shots were good enough to sell and earn enough to live on. And I still stand by my statement that if you are going to take a camera in the water you should be able to stay off the reef, hold position midwater, and be a safe competent diver. Of course I expect this from my OW students on checkouts as well.

And someone who cannot assemble their own gear, was uneasy about a giant stride, and had no clue about their weighting should not have a certification card period.

Back
Top Bottom