looking to get my spearfishing chops near Ft Lauderdatle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

porkpiehat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all!

I'm staying in Ft. Lauderdale april 21-25 with hopes of getting in a dive or two. I was toying with Key Largo and Palm Beach/Jupiter as possibilities. I'm not sure what's in season for spearfishing, but i'd like to get some practice in before a trip I have coming up in NC. Perhaps target practice on Lionfish...

I've never been to the keys, but from what I'm reading WPB is the best diving to be had. would like to see a few sharks also.

Any recommendations are welcom!

All of the locations you mentioned, Jupiter/WPB/Lauderdale/Keys, are all great locations for diving and you won't be disappointed with any that you choose.

If you want a guaranty of seeing sharks, Jupiter would be your best bet in my opinion. I dive with Jupiter Dive Center frequently and highly recommend them: there's a couple other operators in the area too and Scuba Work's boat gets high marks on SB though I've never personally been on it.

WPB diving is also very nice, less of a guaranty of seeing sharks, but you stand a fairly good chance. The reefs in WPB like the Breakers, always seem a bit more colorful to me than Jupiter, probably because they are shallower and the sun illuminates them better. Ops I've used are Jim Abernathy, Scuba Club, Walkers, Narcosis, but there are a lot of others in WPB.

If you want pretty tropical reefs that are protected so are not fished and have significant fish life, the upper Keys would be your best bet. However, the Keys also has some pretty cool wrecks like the Spiegle Grove, the Eagle and the Duane, though I'm not sure those would be appropriate given your profile indicates less than 25 dives. Good boats are Conch Republic and Silent World. There are not very many operators that go to spearfishing areas in the Keys that I know of: a lot of the sites are in protected areas so you'd need to clarify the dive locations with a dive operator before you book.

I think the Pompano/Lauderdale area is one of the overlooked gems of diving in Florida; locals know its good but visitors miss out. The shallow reef line is one of the most beautiful you can find: I love the gentle drifting on the Coppenhaggen site (or the drop off or the nursery sites). However, the area also has a ton of wrecks some of which are shallower than the ones in the Keys. The Lauderdale wrecks are also smaller in size but still pretty neat; the Ancient Mariner, Aqua Zoo, United Caribbean are examples of some of the shallower ones. I've used South Florida Dive HQ, Scubatyme and Pompano Dive Center.

If you really only have 25 or fewer dives, keep in mind that spearfishing is one of those activities in which you can get task overloaded pretty easily if you're not experienced: especially if you have a bunch of sharks circling you and bumping you to get to your bleeding fish (which you'll get in Jupiter and parts of WPB if spearing). Its unlikely that you'll be using a full size spear gun on Lionfish, they usually run to small crevices and most people use undersized pole spears or 'lion fish tamers' to kill them. Lastly, its not a bad idea to get Nitrox certified when diving in Jupiter, WPB or NC for that matter. On air, you won't have much bottom time.

Have fun on your trip: all south Florida diving is fantastic.

Last edited:
Here is the link to salt water fishing regulations. KNOW your fish.. and don't forget your license!
Saltwater Fishing Regulations

Nothing makes a spearfisher look worse in the eyes of the public than some out of town person that doesn't have a license shooting angelfish.. ya'll already have a bad rap..
OK, off my soapbox.. :wink:

LOts of lionfish to be had, especially on the lesser dived reefs and wrecks. I was on a private boat a couple months ago, off Hollywood area. Deep wreck, seldom dived. They said there were at least 25 good sized LF.. oh.. if I only had the O2 mix to dive it.. mine was a bit too rich.. drat...

The distance between WPB and the Keys is a couple hours. If you only have one place to dive, I would pick WPB area. More boats, not as long a trip out and lots of dive ops. Good luck!

Wow that's a lot of information! Very useful, thanks. My profile is old. I'm Nitrox and advanced certified now. Taking a tech wreck course next week. Ill check in with these shops :)

i live in Boston and we've had a tough week. I can't wait to be under warm water.

Hey Porkpiehat,

We have a rep from JBL giving a seminar on Spearfishing tips tomorrow night in Pompano Beach. We always have a good time, so if you don't have anything to do, stop by. You might pick up a few tips or just get some insider information from some of the Spearfishing locals.

It is tomorrow at 7 PM. Here are the details from our Facebook Events page:

"Force-E Pompano Beach (located at 1312 N. Federal Hwy) will be hosting a presentation by JBL rep Rick Holmlund. He will be talking about spearing techniques to get you ready for shooting different sizes of fish and tips to rigging your gun. With grouper season coming around the corner here in Florida this presentation will be a great way to make sure you are ready to bring home dinner.

Presentation starts at 7 pm on April 23

To learn more about the JBL products come by your local Force-E Scuba Centers
"

Cheers,
FE

i wish i could go.... but i promised my wife i'd help on a school project that's on a deadline. I've signed up for my Nitrox finally (wife still isn't happy about it!!!!)

i wish i could go.... but i promised my wife i'd help on a school project that's on a deadline. I've signed up for my Nitrox finally (wife still isn't happy about it!!!!)

Congrats on your nitrox course!

We had a great turn out at our Spearfishing seminar. Did any of you attend?

73920_590695987607949_1251178564_n.jpg400604_590696077607940_2097682978_n.jpg936776_590696004274614_1236782457_n.jpg

i was at this seminar and learned a lot...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom