Lopsided doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeterSZA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a set of double faber HP 100s. They're not straight. The center vertical axis of each tank is on a different pane. The tanks are full. Is it OK to force the tanks into alignment? I'm thinking that the pressure will prevent the crossover bar of the manifold from rotating, and trying might damage it. Do I need to bleed these tanks?

Thanks

I wouldn't force a set of full tanks. Question though, do you have a set of bands on the tanks? It's hard to imagine that they would be out of alignment with a set of bands on.

I'm having a little trouble visualizing what's going on but I'm seeing "twisted" doubles. This can happen if the set isn't deliberately set "straight" when they are first assembled.

It cannot be done with tanks that are under pressure. It has to be done with empty tanks and the bands/manifold needs to be loosened enough to "settle".

Lay them down on the floor (tanks empty and everything loosened) and stand on them....and even jiggle them a bit.... (little bit) .... this is how we've always done this.

Standing on them will cause everything to rotate and/or settle to the plane of the floor (which should be level) at which point you can tighten it all up again. At that point the set should be level and balanced.

I'm actually curious how other people do this. This is what we have always done but I can imagine that there are more ways to skin this cat.

R..

Thanks. I need to bleed them.

Pretty amazing. I just bought these. I assembled them properly, they were perfect. But I wasn't thinking. They were empty, so the dive shop had to disassemble them, inspect them, then put them together again. The bands are on, jjust not properly. I was shocked when I saw them. I left them there on the assumption that they had to be bled and reassembled.

Thanks all for answering my question.

If you want post a picture and help will be on the way. Advice above is spot on and excellent.

If the shop you took them to disassembled them, and then reassembled them incorrectly, take them back and make them fix it. Don't waste an air fill. They should correct the problem they caused and refill your tanks.

If the shop you took them to disassembled them, and then reassembled them incorrectly, take them back and make them fix it. Don't waste an air fill. They should correct the problem they caused and refill your tanks.

You mean take them back to someone who has already shown you that they are incompetent and make them repeat it? hmmm.... wouldn't be my first choice.

If anything, if he isn't willing/able to do it himself he should take them to a tek oriented shop and send the bill to the first diveshop. If they don't pay it take it to Facebook. Small shops are sensitive and vulnerable to that. They'll pay. Don't think of it as threats... think of it as "negotiations". :) Either way I think the point is moot because the OP appears to be able to fix it himself.

As for "wasting a fill", I don't think that's the biggest issue here (unless it was trimix fill) but the OP should, indeed, take the empty tanks back to the shop where he had them inspected and demand a free fill to compensate for having to fix their mistakes.

R..

Take a picture, post it on SB, don't name the shop, then negotiate the refill before you empty and realign them..............(if they say they don't believe you, refer them to picture on SB)

Back
Top Bottom