Loreal Total Repair 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We just got back from a week long dive trip - 16 total dives for me. My hair was already in mediocre shape before I got there. I used the Aveda shampoo that's formulated to get salt water out (in a yellow/orange bottle and smells like citrus) and whatever conditioner was in the bathroom. By the time I got home my hair was a mess - lots of split ends. I started using my heat protection mousse (TreSemme) and my silk therapy but it still looked bad. I was at Walmart and saw this Loreal Total Repair 5 conditioning balm that's supposed to repair damage and decided to get it - and since it said to use their shampoo first I went ahead and got that too (total of maybe $12-$15). I still used my heat protection mousse and silk therapy but WOW, what a difference! My hair is a lot smoother and silkier looking. I'm sure it's the same underneath all the product but it looks a lot better. Thought I should pass that along. Oh, and I want to rave again about how much I like wearing my little Harley Davidson beanie under my mask. One day I wasn't wearing it and got my hair caught in the strap mask and ouch - pulled out a hank of hair.

Happy diving everyone!

I found when my hair was longer, that if I immediately applied leave-on conditioner (either spray or creme) after my last dive (even if I couldn't rinse out the salt), that I my hair was less of a rats nest making it easier to shampoo. And of course plenty good conditioner soaking in for a few minutes after shampoo helps.

I've taken to putting on the Garnier leave-in conditioner before I put my hood on. It seems to be making a HUGE difference in the cumulative damage to the hair from repeated submersion in salt water.

I should add that during this last trip I was wetting my hair with fresh water AND adding conditioner before my first dive and after my last dive. It still suffered from the salt and sun. Part of my problem is that I don't check any bags and that means that I have to be choosy about what I pack for my hair. I should have been putting coconut oil in my hair every evening - that would have helped a bunch. But still, thumbs up for Loreal.

I use a product called Hair One (similar to Wen products) instead of shampoo + conditioner after diving, then use a Macadamia nut oil after towel drying. Has worked really well for me thus far.

So glad you posted this! Does the Hair One and Loreal Total Repair 5 do an effective job with eliminating tangles after showering? Seems that lately even the richest and intense conditioners still require me to use either some sort of serum(Moroccan, macadamia etc. oils) before combing. In the past I have used coconut oil and leave in conditioners until once I had some get into my mask which required a good scrub between dives to remove. I am always game for trying new products and methods of protecting my hair. Seems like every time I return from a dive trip, I have to get a good inch or so cut in order to eliminate the Brillo pad texture.

I always leave some Hair One in my hair as a leave in conditioner, particularly if I'm not going to use the Mac nut oil and I don't have any problem brushing my hair. Oh, I forgot to mention that Hair One is MUCH cheaper than Wen.

Hair one is much cheaper than WEN because it is not WEN. Have been using WEN for 4 years now. You can buy a gallon on QVC only in June. Auto pay of $35 a month. Gallon lasts 6-7 months for me!!!
I am a WEN girl and always will be!!!

So glad you posted this! Does the Hair One and Loreal Total Repair 5 do an effective job with eliminating tangles after showering?.

I have fine hair (meaning thin, and not a lot!) so just about anything would get tangles out. However, the conditioner does feel very rich and I continue to be surprised that my hair isn't in desperate need of a trim after this trip.

Over the summer I have been doing a lot of stand up paddleboarding(it pacifies me between dive vacations). My hairdresser recommended the Kerastase Nutritive Creme Oleo Relax Slim leave in conditioner. Quite pricey but very little goes a loooong way. I absolutely love the stuff! No tangles, no frizz with the added benefit of a week's supply can easily fit within the carry on guidelines. I also went to Ulta and purchased the Loreal Total Repair 5 balm. It is now a staple in my shower. Between the Kerastase and Loreal (they are owned by the same company) I think I am all set for my next dive vacation :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom