Losing finger spools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oms121

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have had several occasions when my EE finger spools have come loose. I carry them with the double ender clipped through the line loop, line pulled tight and the double ender clipped into one of the holes in the side of the spool. The other end of the double ender is clipped to a hip D ring.

The last time it happened I lost the spool in the ocean. Any tips or suggestions to keep this from happening (besides keeping the spool in a pocket).

Thanks

The thumbcatch on the double-enders usually gets bumped and opens - doesn't take much of a knock to open far enough.

If you have to carry them on the hip, try re-orienting the double-ender so the catch is facing inside the spool.

But, as you say, spools should be in pockets...

Actually, I teach students to orientate the bolt snap opening to the outside of the spool. This forces the loop from the line to stay away from the opening of the bolt snap and on the continuos side of the bolt snap clip.Click here for a photgraphic explaination.
I hope that helps. I've had the same problem that you're describing when I first started using a spool. This fixed that.
Best fix though, is spool in pocket.

take care and dive safe!---brando

Thanks brando.

I haven't been very consistent on how I clip my double enders and that may be the problem. I'll do it the way you describe and see if I have any more problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom