Loss of work due to time-out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MountainDrew

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm new to ScubaBoard and have found the forums very interesting and helpful. I was very anxious to contribute some of what I have learned back into a very important thread.

I came back from a trip with some good information, logged in, and spent a good deal of time composing a somewhat large but helpful message.

When I attemped to post it, my log-in had apparently timed out and I was asked to log in again. I did so but found that I could not get back to my entry to post it. I tried the Back button as it suggested but ultimately got back to a blank posting screen. I could find no way to recover my work. Did I do something wrong? I am a very experienced computer user and I doubt it was my error. It makes me feel like I should not bother to contribute significant posts if I am in danger of spending a lot of time to carefully compose an entry only to have it dissappear when try to post.

If there is a way to recover an unposted entry after a log-in times out, it was not made apparent to me and therefore is as good as being nonexistent.

In the interest of encouraging people to use ScubaBoard rather than discouraging them, please do something to avoid loss of work on a time-out situation.

Thanks for listening.
Steve

I can't address your specific problem, but I can relate my own experience. I often go away and leave my laptop up for hours without getting logged off the board. I have "lost" posts do to a somewhat sketchy wi-fi connection sometimes, but I use FireFox as a browser and hitting the back button almost always recovers my post.

If I'm working on especially long or detailed topic I tend to write it in Word first, and then copy it over to SB to post. This allows me to save it for review before posting, easier rewrites and edits and no danger of losing a lengthy post if something happens to my connection.

I'm not sure why you're having issues with the site timing out. :idk:

I realize this doesn't fix what's already happened, but for the future, one trick many people use is to compose lengthier postings off-line, using a word processor or Notepad equivalent (periodically saving on your hard disk), and then do a single big cut and paste.

Edit: I see CD beat me to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom