Lost a possible job opportunity due to being a diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm guessing situations where employers start worrying about diving, flying, etc. are when they are insuring you to protect their own assets or revenues. A CEO or star pro athlete may be worth more to the organization than his or her salary alone.

I've bought life insurance several times and never been questioned about SCUBA. Skydiving they cared about....

Considering scuba as dangerous is pretty dumb. I greatly suspect that for hours spent engaged in a hobby/sport, more sick days result from things like ballroom dance, jogging and bike riding.

That is weird. I'm surprised they didn't simply ask you not to dive, or limit your diving.

A CEO friend of mine and amateur pilot was told he had to have a commercial pilot in the cockpit when he flew.

I’m not even management. I don’t have the temperament for it. I’m just very experienced in my field (25 years) with a bachelor’s degree and a not easy to get professional qualification.

I just got new life insurance. Agent asked me to what depth I dived after they found out I was a diver.

Did you tell them that’s ok, because you wouldn’t want to work with people who are that BORING?

Sitting. Sitting long hours is very dangerous and can contribute to many of the diseases that kill most people. Office jobs are more dangerous than scuba.
Sitting risks: How harmful is too much sitting?

Our firm and the firm’s insurance company agrees. That’s why we have a CAD $1000 fitness benefit per year, which hopes to keep the workers healthier.

Last edited:
It's only a 'free country' if you are independently wealthy. Or maybe unemployed and too poor to take anything else from. The term 'wage slave' exists for a reason. Social media has given some HR types another surveillance option for monitoring us; at least they're not bugging our homes (yet).

Richard.

I thought it was common knowledge that with respect to social media and employers "anything you say can and will be used against you........".

from that site...
in the private sector, a number of laws prohibit employers from intruding into their employees' lives outside of work. Some state constitutions specifically include a right to privacy, which prevents private employers from looking into their employees' off-duty activity. Some states, including California, have laws prohibiting employers from taking any job-related action based on a worker's lawful conduct off the job.

Do you really believe those 'protections' exist or are enforceable ? Even in your example, at best it only 'protects' you from your present employer, you are fair game for the rest of the universe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom