Lost AOW paperwork recently found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krbailey

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I did my AOW certification in Cozumel with Dive with Martin several years ago. Upon arriving back home, I was unable to locate my paperwork. I recently found said paperwork and I'm wondering if I can just submit the paperwork to PADI or do I need to get re-certified? FYI - I have done several dives since then but they didn't require an AOW certification.

Thanks!

I recommend you contact PADI about this (PADI The Way the World Learns to Dive). I've never heard of a situation like this before, so I can't speak from experience what the answer is. People normally contact the instructor/dive centre if there are any glitches in their application. How did you end up with the paperwork?!?

btw... your instructor broke PADI standards, because they are responsible for processing your certification (within 7 days).

Thanks, DevonDiver! I think that's certainly my first step. The paperwork was misplaced (and misplaced good!) after returning home. For the health of my marriage, blame will not be assigned. It was recently found when my office was redone.

Are you taking about a Paper PIC? The type you make into an envelope and post?

If so you're fine sending it. I recently had an OW cert turn up 2 years after I certed the guy. It'll be fine.

@Andy: The instructor has to issue the cert, not post it.

Yeah...I appreciate that interpretation, its something I've never agreed with.

In terms of re-application, the instructor should have full records of the course, thus making a re-application as easy as a phone call to organise. Student records must be maintained for 7 years.

Here's exactly what PADI have to say about it:

Within seven days of a student finishing all course requirements, the certifying instructor who completed the final open water training dive or the last performance requirement of courses without dives, must:1. Submit a PIC (envelope or online), or the appropriate application to your PADI Office.
Exception: If delay is caused by the student diver.
2. Issue either a temporary or permanent certification card to the student.

That's from the latest PADI instructor manual (2011).

It says that the 'certifying instructor must submit the PIC to the PADI Office.

I don't know how that can be interpreted as 'student can post the PIC to the PADI Office'?

Since that is a fairly recent change to the standards, depending how long ago the course was finished I doubt that it would apply.
However since the student clearly has the certification documents (I assume he means the PIC) then the student never submitted it, and the delay was then due to the student, again not a breach in standards.
"Exception: If delay is caused by the student diver."

Either way, Unless your an infallible instructor (which I doubt) maybe it would be better to not throw around statements like "your instructor Broke Standards"

I do my very best to never break standards, and no matter how hard I try there is always a lot of pressure for instructors to push limits.

just my 2 cents worth,

Cheers

Either way, Unless your an infallible instructor (which I doubt) maybe it would be better to not throw around statements like "your instructor Broke Standards"

I must be infallible, because I don't break standards. What do you find so hard about adhering to them?

I'll throw that statement about as much as I want.... as do PADI. Keep standards... if you can't... or won't.... then don't teach diving.

Also... I'm not going to cheap-skate a student over the cost of a stamp, or 10 minutes of internet access.... I've always submitted their certifications personally.

Yeah...I appreciate that interpretation, its something I've never agreed with.

In terms of re-application, the instructor should have full records of the course, thus making a re-application as easy as a phone call to organise. Student records must be maintained for 7 years.

Here's exactly what PADI have to say about it:

That's from the latest PADI instructor manual (2011).

It says that the 'certifying instructor must submit the PIC to the PADI Office.

I don't know how that can be interpreted as 'student can post the PIC to the PADI Office'?

Yes, but there is the exception for delay caused by the student diver. This could be any number of things. For example at one shop my boss just didn't bother with Online PIC's she would only give out Paper PIC's. And there are no Passport Photo machines on the perhentians, would the best option be to keep hold of the PIC and wait for the student diver to mail passport photos to the dive shop? Or would it be best to give the PIC to the student?

If it's a paper PIC that the student took home and then failed to mail to PADI, wouldn't there be a temporary card, torn off, signed by the instructor and given to the student? That was point 2 in the list of standards above...

Yes, but there is the exception for delay caused by the student diver. This could be any number of things. For example at one shop my boss just didn't bother with Online PIC's she would only give out Paper PIC's. And there are no Passport Photo machines on the perhentians, would the best option be to keep hold of the PIC and wait for the student diver to mail passport photos to the dive shop? Or would it be best to give the PIC to the student?

That's just a matter of dive shop logistics. I agree that the online PIC processing can be a pita... but it does give the option in locations where you can't get a photo done or where the mail is unreliable. Worst case scenario, bad/no internet, just collect the details (and digi pics) on a pen-stick and schedule one member of staff to take them to a mainland internet cafe once per week.

If paper PICs really are insisted upon, then just communicate clearly that students should bring a passport photo. Put that info onto a website. As a last resort, just buy a pack of photo-printing paper. Collect together a week's worth of students, paste their pics onto an A4 sheet, press 'print' and get ready with the scissors...

I have given some students PICs to take back with them. It sort of made sense on a few occasions where they lived in Australia and were going home shortly afterwards. The PIC would get to the PADI office far quicker than if I posted it from Manila. Did it a few times, but always felt uneasy about it - because if there was any issue (card not received), then I couldn't guarantee that everything had been done correctly. The way I see it, PADI changed the rules now anyway.

Online PIC is a total pita... but I like the reassurance that my student's certifications have gone through. No surprises. No admin nightmares a month or two later.

If it's a paper PIC that the student took home and then failed to mail to PADI, wouldn't there be a temporary card, torn off, signed by the instructor and given to the student? That was point 2 in the list of standards above...

Yes, there would. PADI could cross-reference the number on that temp pic. It should just be a case of applying for a replacement card. I'm guessing that plenty enough paper PIC applications get lost in the post etc each year. Gotta assume that PADI has that base covered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom