Lost Buddy Marker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The threads centered around the recent accident at Ginnie has led to some interesting discussion, both here and other boards.

One such example was this one: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cave-diving/303744-calculating-search-gas.html

The one discussion that has really piqued my interest though, revolves around leaving a lost buddy marker.

Based on discussions elsewhere, it seems some of us were trained that in the event of buddy separation to leave a backup light on the mainline in the event they are exiting without one.

When I took my cave class, LED lights were not widely used or available and the backups we had were much more limited in burn times. IIRC, I was taught to clip the light to the line, but not leave it on, so as to conserve the battery for my lost buddy who might be exiting blind on the line.

With the advent of LED backups with ridiculous amounts of burn time now, leaving it burning should be no issue. This provides the added benefits of serving as a beacon for the missing diver and alerting other teams that may be in the system of a problem.

After kicking the idea around for a bit I've been working out some team protocols for my buddies. Before I throw them out to the rest of you for comments/criticism, I thought I'd get some opinions on leaving a Lost Buddy Marker.

Note: We all already know that prevention is the best cure so I'm going to ask that we keep this on topic with solutions, rather than bashing training methods. If the comments get too far off track, I will ask that they be moved or deleted.

How do you feel about leaving one of your backups behind? What other methods do you use to indicate to a lost buddy that you are searching for them, or that you have already left the cave?

I would leave a backup light on the line, and my wetnotes saying "I (my name) have left the cave!"

I would leave a backup light on the line, and my wetnotes saying "I (my name) have left the cave!"

Would you add anything else like "buddy whereabouts unknown" in the event another team runs across your note?

I was taught to leave a line arrow and clip off a light, turned on.

I would probably also leave a sheet of wetnotes, or my wrist slate saying I left the cave

I carry 3 backups so thats not a problem. Wetnotes sound ok to me, or have a certain color arrow just for that occasion. But you would have to discuss that with your buddies or it would be just another arrow.

Would you add anything else like "buddy whereabouts unknown" in the event another team runs across your note?

perhaps, also might leave info on our dive, that might help another team find my buddy if they were so inclined.

The "whereabouts unknown" part seems rather self evident to me. If you knew where they were you probably wouldn't be leaving. If they were dead and you had to leave and let someone else return to recover them you wouldn't be leaving others "markers" on the way out.

I have a "special cookie" which is basically a peice of venetian blind. We use them as special markers in circuits and similar situations. It has a loop of cave line on it for attaching to anotehr line and my name in Sharpie. I would leave that cookie with "left the cave" written on it in pencil. And I would leave a backup light turned on.

I like the light idea. I would also leave my wet notes with my name. The fact that I have left the cave and put on it that my buddy is lost in the system. That way there is no question and if other divers find it they will know exactly what has happened and can assist if they choose to.

The threads centered around the recent accident at Ginnie has led to some interesting discussion, both here and other boards.

One such example was this one: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cave-diving/303744-calculating-search-gas.html

The one discussion that has really piqued my interest though, revolves around leaving a lost buddy marker.

Based on discussions elsewhere, it seems some of us were trained that in the event of buddy separation to leave a backup light on the mainline in the event they are exiting without one.

When I took my cave class, LED lights were not widely used or available and the backups we had were much more limited in burn times. IIRC, I was taught to clip the light to the line, but not leave it on, so as to conserve the battery for my lost buddy who might be exiting blind on the line.

With the advent of LED backups with ridiculous amounts of burn time now, leaving it burning should be no issue. This provides the added benefits of serving as a beacon for the missing diver and alerting other teams that may be in the system of a problem.

After kicking the idea around for a bit I've been working out some team protocols for my buddies. Before I throw them out to the rest of you for comments/criticism, I thought I'd get some opinions on leaving a Lost Buddy Marker.

Note: We all already know that prevention is the best cure so I'm going to ask that we keep this on topic with solutions, rather than bashing training methods. If the comments get too far off track, I will ask that they be moved or deleted.

How do you feel about leaving one of your backups behind? What other methods do you use to indicate to a lost buddy that you are searching for them, or that you have already left the cave?
When I took my cave class (NSS-CDS with Jim Wyatt) a few weeks ago there was a question about that on the exam (i.e. "what would you do"). I mentioned on the exam that I would leave one of my backup lights ... turned on to serve as a beacon to the guideline. If I have exited the cave, I would also write a quick note to that effect and clip it to the light.

In retrospect, I think I will make a small, third backup light part of my standard cave equipment. There's space for it in a pocket, and if I am ever faced with the decision I can always leave one of my normal backups behind, and still have the small one as a secondary backup for myself.

All of my backup lights are LED with ... as you say ... ridiculous amounts of burn time.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I also like the leaving a light behind and :
Either a special cookie -or- (as my buddy does)
Leave a slate with an explination etc ...

Hey , leaving an LED light is worth it ... IMHO ...
Tie/attach that baby to the line , and leave an explination for it and that would be HAARD TO MISS !!!

Jean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom