Lost Diver Found In Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Crab

Reaction score
An open water diver with no cave training was lost in a cave Saturday and rescued by WKPP diver Scott Hunsucker. This has to be the luckiest guy on the planet right now. This should be a good warning for anyone with ideas of exploring caves without proper training. Follow link for story.

http://www.jcfloridan.com/

On a related note to all you instructors out there. Please, if you don't already have it, get a copy of the video "A Deceptively Easy Way to Die" and show it to all of your students. And to students, if you haven't seen this video, ask your instructor to show it to you.

Mike, tell us where we can get the video.

ID

I think we got our copy from the NACD. The NSS-CDS may have it also. If you don't see it there let me know and I'll ask my wife...I mean store manager.

Wow lucky guy...stupid, but lucky. I thought it was standard practice to warn OW students about the dangers of cave diving?

If the ears aren't connected to the brain it's all wasted breath!

ID

After reading that article, I am almost speechless with disbelief.
Ya think he and his friends even had one working brain cell between them? Somehow I doubt it.

You know, I am the very first to admit that I am a wet behind the ears newbie and due to that have everything to learn and little to contribute as far as advice-

but I think I would tell this guy to hang up his mask and fins, because he just used up 8 of his 9 lives during that little adventure.

:confused:

Originally posted by dvleemin
What a moron!

But you know what gets me most - he actually napped while being stuck there!!

Darryl
I'd be interested to hear from someone with expertiece in the field, but I expect he was napping partially because he was in a form of shock--expecting to die and with his mind not wanting to face the inevitability of the situation.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

That nap is what just might have saved his life. He reduced his stress level enough to take a nap, also reducing his heart rate and O2 consumption and reducing his anxiety and panic levels. Remeber he was in a bat cave, I'm sure the air there was not really safe or smelled all that good anyway.

BTW, what else was there to do?

ID

Back
Top Bottom