Lost diver in Puget Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did Chad see a diver at over 210 feet if he was at 189 when the vis was 6ft? Maybe I missed something but there seems to be inconsistencies in this story.
Wow, that may have been covered in the last 250 posts, but the viz often gets better at depth.

Your right there are alot of questions that dont make sense. Time, depth, vis, etc.
Chad was a good friend as I stated before, none of this makes sense if you want to play detective. Maybe John doesn't remember exactly what happend cuz he was scared or narced. Or maybe Steve got scared and kicked of Chads mask off or worse. In reality it doesn't matter. Maybe Chad never saw Steve and everything you have heard here is a lie. It doesn't change anything we who new Chad are at a loss. We all choose to lay blame where ever we see fit. Playing detective doesn't change anything. No answer or truth will make it better. Personally im tired of people trying to figure out what happened it wont bring him back or stop people from doing this type of diving. At best it might make people think a little harder on who they choose to dive with. Diving is all theory and few facts.

Your right there are alot of questions that dont make sense. Time, depth, vis, etc.

First of all, witness accounts of accidents are not going to be consistent simply due to the fact that perception and memory aren't perfect. It is completely unreasonable to expect a diver on air at 200 fsw to remember precisely how a fatal accident occurred, and its probably unreasonable to simply ask for the account to be internally consistent What you are getting is an account filtered by the diver's memory and perception under the conditions of extreme narcosis, panic/anxiety and unfamiliarity with the underwater environment. It will be highly imperfect.

Second of all, the questions that don't make sense start with the dive plan and just get radically worse from there. There's never going to be any precise answers about what 'really' happened and searching for those answers is going to be pointless. The useful answers to questions like 'what happened?', 'what went wrong?', 'how could this happened?' etc start and end pretty much on the shore with the dive plan.

Is there any word of what happened to the "instructor" in this incident?
Dave Graddon is not teaching at this time, last I heard he was driving a truck over in the middle east and trying to pay back Harry Truitt for the items he stole from the dive shop.

Dave Graddon is not teaching at this time, last I heard he was driving a truck over in the middle east and trying to pay back Harry Truitt for the items he stole from the dive shop.

deepseaconvict, you have mentioned that you were a friend of Chads and I wondered if you might be able to answer some questions.

How much gear did he steal?

Was teaching scuba and working for Truitt his only job before this happened?

Do you think moving to the middle east was more to pay off bills or to avoid any problems with lawsuits from Chad's family or the problems with the police?

Well to get an exact number you would have to call Light House and ask them, the manager there is a friend of mine, I was told over 5K. Enough to make it a felony if they were to press charges. As far as the job thing- Dave did a little of everything, HVAC, Mortgage & Ins, etc. To answer your last question I would say yes to all three scenarios. Although it would be hard to get money from Dave in a lawsuit. There really isn't any police problems that I know of related to this topic.

Hope that answers your ?

Almost five years past since we last dived together. Brother I am in south florida trying to right the ways of error. By teaching those to be better then we were. I find the degree of professionalism to be pathetic and overall knowledge in instructors these days to be severly lacking... Just the other day I had an padi instructor tell me "its ok to use a hookah rig because its just blowing surface air down to you. Thats why you dont have to have a certification to use it." I wanted to punch him in the face... In case your reading this, I'll see you on bottom!

Almost five years past since we last dived together. Brother I am in south florida trying to right the ways of error. By teaching those to be better then we were. I find the degree of professionalism to be pathetic and overall knowledge in instructors these days to be severly lacking... Just the other day I had an padi instructor tell me "its ok to use a hookah rig because its just blowing surface air down to you. Thats why you dont have to have a certification to use it." I wanted to punch him in the face... In case your reading this, I'll see you on bottom!

Brendon:

I hope you find the peace that you seek.

Desi

Brendon:

Your post has struck a cord with me. It appears that you are working through this horrible accident and trying to right the wrongs. That takes a big person and even a bigger one to admit it in a public forum. You have been able to find a way to do right with something so bad. I wish you all the luck in the world.

The accident in Tacoma this weekend has brought back a lot of pain and frustration that I felt when we lost Chad. I'm glad to see that Brendon is honoring Chad's memory by teaching others of the lessons learned that night. I have been searching all of the local news stories about this latest diver that was lost while with an instructor. I would sleep better just knowing that the instructor was not Dave. Can anyone confirm who the instructor was? West Seattle Blog… » Continuing coverage: Diver’s body found, brought ashore

Back
Top Bottom