Lost diver in Puget Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Ed:
I tried looking for ways to put this, but I would like views regarding the potential ramifications of a manslaughter charge here vis-a-vis other things related to scuba such as gear maintenance. Isn't this (the threat of litigation) the argument that LDS use that prevent people from buying parts for their regs, let alone servicing the regs themselves? Isn't this a sport where we all knowingly know the risks involved?
No ... this case is very different.

Sorry ... it's difficult for me to hold my tongue on much of what I've learned about this accident. Suffice it to say I don't want this thread turned into a flame-fest, out of respect for Chad's family and friends who are reading it. But not all of the divers involved were aware of the risks they were taking. They couldn't be ... some of them were barely out of OW class with the same instructor who took them on this dive ... and all they knew was that he told them that it would be alright, they would do fine.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Isn't this a sport where we all knowingly know the risks involved?

My 3rd and 4th certification dives were to 110fsw in Cozumel. Since I only had about 2 hours of class previous to the dives, I had no idea what I was doing.

Only after I got back home and started diving here did I realize what I had done. Was it that big of a deal? After all, it was 80+ degree water, 100'+ of vis, and my instructor was with me the entire time...of course it was a big deal! I had no concept of increased air consumption at depth...I had no idea I couldn't just go to the surface if I did run out of air...I had no idea what nitrogen narcosis was...I just knew that I didn't want to run out of air. But, I didn't have to worry about that anyway...I was with my instructor! I wasn't aware of those risks.

This "instructor" (I have a really hard time calling him that) instilled confidence in his students that they could do this dive safely.

I was a little pissed when I realized what I had done, and what my instructor demonstrated to me was okay...and that was in crystal clear, warm water, in "only" 110fsw (after all, I could even see the boat from depth).

This instructor took divers, some with only a small handful of dives more than what I had when I dove in Cozumel...to twice the depth...at night...in 2' of vis...on air...

They didn't know the risks.

Brian

I think we all agree that the instructor really screwed the pooch on this one, but the question remains -- what will come of it? Besides the relatively small group of people that will read this thread, few PNW divers will ever hear of this incident, let alone be personally affected by it. Even if the instructor is found guilty of man2 for example, it isn't going to change anything for our sport (he's already stripped of teaching rights, at least for now and hopefully forever if the stated facts are true).

Instead, I suggest that we focus our efforts and frustrations in a positive manner, such as discussing some sort of internal instructor review mechanism. I have really no good answer for how to do it, but I'd GLADLY be involved with a system to evaluate local instructors on a regular basis to limit this type of negligence. I said it before, and I'll say it again -- the death of a diver is tragic, and we really should consider using this incident for good in any way possible.

The ramblings of a lowly student....

The Shocker:
Chad was a Great guy and a member of my Family. . . . I have since been doing alot of research on diving like this and came across this post. I used to be a Private Investigator and consider this my personal mission to find out what REALLY happened to Chad that night.

Neil, I am very sorry for your families loss, and I hope that Chad can be found safely and soon. I also wish you luck in your investigation - if there really is a criminal wrong in this incident, I hope it brings the appropriate consequences involved. And whatever happens, I hope that more information and detail about this incident might serve other divers informationaly so that this tragic event and the loss of a Man who sounds to have been great guy serves some good.

A frighteningly large proportion of us have started out totally ignorant.

My "class" (13 years ago) had absolutely no skill requirements in OW. Yup, I did some skills in 2 pool sessions and then went for an 75 to 80' tour with the "instructor". Right down the street from this dive site actually, Les Davis Park.

No I didn't know anything about risks. To this day, I question whether I could have even cleared my mask or done a reg recovery on that tour.

After I found out that 1) this was against standards (way too deep among others) and 2) there was no more "instruction" forthcoming, I reported the "instructor" to NAUI HQ with a long list of missing skills and standards violations. He is no longer an instructor with them.

The point is that people will frequently follow a person with institutional authority, esp. when they don't know better themselves. Whether the other divers there "knew better" is uncertain. You can be ignorant of risks with 1 dive or 200. # of dives says little about knowledge.

This is far different from selling, for instance reg overhaul kits. If you advertised such a parts kits as easy and foolproof, yes that would be problem. But a reasonable disclaimer can quickly inform most buyers that service is at their own risk.

The problem with this dive as I understand it is that there was a "reverse disclaimer". That is the instructor said "you'll be fine" or something to that effect instead of discouraging this personal best dive. Anything to discourage this effort might have established a seed of doubt and prevented this tragedy.

lundysd:
Instead, I suggest that we focus our efforts and frustrations in a positive manner, such as discussing some sort of internal instructor review mechanism. I have really no good answer for how to do it, but I'd GLADLY be involved with a system to evaluate local instructors on a regular basis to limit this type of negligence.

I suspect the TOS here will prohibit this. And what would the standards be? I'm sure Chad thought his instructor was a swell guy.

rjack,

It probably isn't the best thing to discuss on the forums, but it just frustrates me that this incident may very well occur again sometime soon...

I have no idea how to pull that kind of thing off anyways -- I'm not interested in finding the best instructor in the area, just somehow identifying the dangerous ones. Wishful thinking I suppose....

leah:
I would criticize and instructor or diver that did such an unsafe dive. An AL80 on a deep dive is pure madness. Knowing that he went on a deep dive with at least 2 guys on AL80's is enough to let me know this guy is unsafe.

And here in lies a problem. With all due respect for Chad's friends and loved ones, he WAS a "diver that did such an unsafe dive" and Chad was one of those "2 guys on AL80's that was unsafe".

I don't say this to be cruel or overly critical of Chad. But it is an important part of the equation that must be acknowledged. Chad, at least as described in this thread, was a diver who was certified and had MANY MANY dives and would have ample opportunity and training to understand that such a dive was indeed "madness" (to use your word). I only say this because this is an inherently risky sport that can be very safe when people foloow the basic tenets of their training and accept responsibility for knowing what they are doing and diving well within their respective training, knowledge and skill.

Most divers will never witness a serious diving accident let alone end up with 2 fatalities on separate incidents. When you start ticking up multiple accidents next to your name when people dive with you, something is seriously wrong. It would be interesting to know how many divers have been hurt diving with this guy that have lived to tell about it. It does not sound like from his reputation that this was a one time mistake. Losing a diver would be enough to make most people change forever.

All true. And the instructor involved should definitely be investigated and sanctioned should the stories posted here about his reputation be true. And this is an important illustration of what all divers need to be aware of and handle for themselves. You need to pay attention to those you buddy up and dive with and assess their abilities and judgement in relation to your own. You can't let someone you sense is unsafe, overly capriciously or reckless influence your decisions on how you dive. I have been skiing since I was a young kid and I see a parallel between something that was drummed into my head early on in that sport and what is even more critical in the sport of diving - don't let ANYONE talk you into doing a run that you don't feel comfortable with or prepared to do. In skiing at least if you find yourself at the top of a run that is just way over your head, you can ditch the skiis and inch your way down. But in diving that isn't an option - and being properly equipped is even more critical. The point being, undertaking a dive in which one is not correctly changed and equipped for is infinitely more dangerous and the margin for error is a minute fraction of what it is compared to anything else we do in life.

Again, I don't say this to put any needless or thoughtless blame on Chad, I just think it is critically important that divers realize they are solely and directly responsible for their decisions on whether to conduct any particular dive or not - regardless of who suggests they do so or why.

Once one becomes a diver, one needs to start becoming aware of the divers you chose to dive with and whether they are people one SHOULD dive with. I can't tell you how many times I have been on local dive boats or travels around the world and been in situations where it has been very evident that I am around people who make poor decisions and are a danger to themeslves and possibly others. I have always made it a policy to simply miss a dive rather than put myself in a compromoised position by diving with such people. And that was a policy I made walkibg off the boat after my certifications dives.

Foolish wreckless divers are everywhere. There are some fool divers in my area that brag if they could just find the gps numbers to the old hotel at the bottom of the lake (300+) that they could do a bounce on a single set of doubles.

No doubt such fools exist. And that is why it is important to avoid diving with such people whether they carry an instructor credential or not. Someone carrying an Instructor designation can't make an incredibly unsafe dive safe simply by virtue of their designation.

Anyway, for those of you who say don't criticize the instructor until we know all the facts, if you will just give me a number of how many hurt and dead divers one can chalk up before we can say something bad about you or them. We have reports about two bodies in the water, but some don't feel we can say anything bad yet. So if two isn't enough, can we say what we think about him with 3, 4, or do we need to get even higher???

There's no doubt this instructor needs to have his professional carreer ended. But I think it is extremely important that people realize such people exist in this sport unfortunately (though from my experience they are VERY rare) and thus peopel need to make sure that they follow their training, instincts and common sense and not let anyone tell them to engage in something that is clearly unsafe. Obviously such people have no regard for their own safety, so you can't count on them to watch out for your own, and thus they should be avoided.

A friend of mine, who used to be a diver, made an interesting observation about the sport. If a diver dies, the community comments on it and moves on. If someone dies due to an airplane crash, there's a huge government body that looks into it--and all the gear has crazy certification requirements too, even for little planes.

Not that anyone wants massive government oversight of diving, like the FAA rules all things air travel... but when I read about an incident like this it seems like there should be some more official apparatus in place to analyze the event. Even if it's just a committee put together by the certification authorities.

NWGratefulDiver:
But not all of the divers involved were aware of the risks they were taking. They couldn't be ... some of them were barely out of OW class with the same instructor who took them on this dive(Grateful Diver)

Here's my thing about all of this. I wasn't even DONE with my open water classes before I knew that the type of dive these people engaged in was atrociously wreckless. 150+ plus dives into my diving experience (as Chad was reported to have been), I had certainly seen enough, heard enough and experienced enough to know that engaging in such a thing was foolish and letting others with less experince was even more so. Thus, one could argue that Chad should have been telling the lesser experienced divers to forget doing the dive. And had he done so, perhaps he wouldn't have found himself in the situation where he was compelled to descend dangeroulsy to assist one of thiose divers.

Again, this isn't to criticize Chad - it sounds like he was a stand up guy who did a standuup thing and paid the ultimate price. It's just as I understand it, the purpose of this forum is to learn and educate so that people can learn from prior incidents. I think there is MUCH to be learned from this incident from ALL involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom