Lost Villages Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is it safe to dive the Lost villages?
What is still there?
Are the headstones of the cemeteries still there? I recently found out I have family from there.

I've been looking into the lost villages recently now that the water is getting warmer. Some spots are definatly divable, others might have too much current to spend any time at. Some structures are intact (Lock 21, Mille Roches Powerhouse come to mind) but as for the actual towns themselves; I'm having trouble finding much dive-related information on. 500+ homes were lifted off the foundations and moved. Of the homes that wern't moved I would imagine they have ether collapsed by now, or had been demolished to avoid becoming boating hazards. The streets, foundations and signs would remain though. Some of the old highway is shallow enough to see on google maps satalite view.

As for cemetaries, my wife found a historical video that CBC had dug up from before the flooding (lost the link unfortunatly). In it, the narrator mentioned that some of the bodies from cemeteries may have to be moved, not sure if it ever happened though.

The Ottawa Citizen had a feature on it that has a small section on diving that might be of interest. link.

Either of you guys want a guided tour of some of the sites, just let me know.
The cemetery is west of lock 23 and not easy to get to without a scooter. Not much to see except some old iron fencing. Everything else was moved prior to the flooding.
My personal favourite Lost Villages sites are (in no particular order)
Lock 21: Good shore dive, low vis and lots of current. Can get to 60ft deep in some parts so you should be reasonable experienced before doing this one but it's probably my favourite. Easy to bail if you run into issues, just swim north you're never far from shore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUJJu-ZQAEM

Lock 23: Definitely a drift dive. Leave one car down the river at the beach then drive back up to Augusta st and park at the end of it. Gear up and jump in. There are several building sub structures to drift along and explore. At the end just keep drifting till you hit the lock doors, more fun stuff to explore then head back north. You should exit right at the beach but this takes practice and I wouldn't recommend just trying it willy nilly, get someone to guide you though it a few times. Worse case here a wrong turn could have you end up in the shipping channel, best case you over/under shoot and have a long walk with gear. Totally worth it though, do it a few times and you'll be exiting the beach every time :wink:

Mille Roches power house (Swing bridge/Control Dam): A collection of building in close proximity left over from a hydro electric station. Ripping current and terrible vis, best done by boat or scooter but one hell of a cool dive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kIjo1TnDnc

Dominion paper factory basement: Exactly what it sounds like. It's the entire basement of the old Dominion paper factory. The building was moved but the basement level obviously is still there. CAVE TRAINING ONLY!!!!
Sorry for all the exclamation marks but that can't be stressed enough. Very good vis inside but can be blown out with one bad fin stroke. Redundant gas, running lines etc. If you don't know what you're doing this could be very dangerous, but if caves are your thing this will really float your boat.
No vid yet, hopefully this year. If you look on youtube there are a few good vids of it. Ok found the one Steve did years ago, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaS9OZbS2rU

Lots of great diving in that area, lots of foundations left from old houses. You can see the line in the middle of the old hwy#2 in some places. Lock 23 is great, its a long dive to hit the beach tho. If u want to do a dive let me know.

As for cemetaries, my wife found a historical video that CBC had dug up from before the flooding (lost the link unfortunatly). In it, the narrator mentioned that some of the bodies from cemeteries may have to be moved, not sure if it ever happened though.

That video can be found at CBC Archives

Back
Top Bottom