Lost Wedding Ring in Seward Park - Need Diver to Find!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks man, I appreciate the sentiments.

Here's a question for all you experienced divers ( I have no clue - since Ive never dived before): How comfortable would you feel in 68 feet of lake water, with a sandy bottom and probably little visibility... armed with a metal detector and a light - looking for a ring. That sounds pretty deep to me and a heck of a lot darker than 20 feet down. Would you go for it? I am one of those people who can accept loss - but only if I've given it my best shot.
Kevin

BrianS:
I would, that isnt too deep.

BTW...Its not me thats diving...a couple of experienced divers have the option. Just wanted to see what other divers would do

thanks
Kevin

LostRing:
thanks man, I appreciate the sentiments.

Here's a question for all you experienced divers ( I have no clue - since Ive never dived before): How comfortable would you feel in 68 feet of lake water, with a sandy bottom and probably little visibility... armed with a metal detector and a light - looking for a ring. That sounds pretty deep to me and a heck of a lot darker than 20 feet down. Would you go for it? I am one of those people who can accept loss - but only if I've given it my best shot.
Kevin
68 feet with a sand bottom sounds pretty simple to me. If it's a silt bottom instead of sand, that complicates things a lot, but the depth isn't bad at all.

Firebrand:
Well, if I were in the Seattle area, I'd help you out, but I'm too far away in North Alabama.

Hey Blase, Lets go.... R-O-A-D--T-R-I-P-!!!!

LostRing:
Here's a question for all you experienced divers ( I have no clue - since Ive never dived before): How comfortable would you feel in 68 feet of lake water, with a sandy bottom and probably little visibility... armed with a metal detector and a light - looking for a ring. That sounds pretty deep to me and a heck of a lot darker than 20 feet down. Would you go for it?

60 feet is not bad at all. Sandy bottom is great. Like one of the other divers
said though, if it's not sand, it might complicate things. If it's silt or mud, then
you have to worry about stirring it up. Sand will settle down easily though.
Still, it "hitting bottom" and currents will likely have buried it somewhat in the
sand.

A metal detector will be needed, but you'll find all kinds of other stuff also.
Bottle tops, fishing lures, etc. It won't be an easy process. You'll also
have to scoop/dig for these items. All this will stir up the vis.

LostRing:
I can guarantee a 10yd diameter.

heh... if it was only that simple. I know you were 10 yards from the bouy,
but there is at least some slack in the cable anchoring it. Bouy's do move
some. so if you would need to theoretically pull the bouy until the line
is tignt and then move it in a circle. Then add your 10 yard radius
to the outside of it.

If the bouy has a for example 10 yard radius swing, that's 20 yard diameter.
Add your 10 yard radius from the bouy and you're at a 40 yard diameter circle.
That's a 120ft circular search area looking for something the size of a nickle
that's most likely buried in silt. So unfortually it's not that simple.
Hopefully the swing arc radius of the bouy wasn't that large and the
search area is smaller.

But this is still doable even in these distances.

It'd be easy to set up a grid underwater for your search area also
at this depth.

I think it's illegal to dive in Lake Washington/Seward park area. A police permit might be obtained - maybe.

But, I hate to break it to you, a diver probably isn't going to find it. That bottom is muck and the visibility is like 1-3' at best, a lot less if you touch the bottom. Anything dropped sinks in.

I don't think anyone is going to try it on a "reward" basis. Not a good chance of finding anything. I don't know of anyone renting metal detectors around here, but it would take probably a couple to have any hope.

Sorry, but you might try to make a claim against your homeowners insurance.

Jack

Thanks for the honesty Jack, I know you speak from experience - its a shot in the dark - but Im the type that has to try. If its a lost cause, I can accept that. There are a number of volunteers ready to go, I almost feel guilty! I gave two guys the green light to go for it this Sunday, I will pay them for their air and whatever else it costs to get the op going, though they asked for no money. In fact, there's been a lot of kind souls who offered the same. The Harbor Patrol said go for it.

Proof that there are people who will step up for nothing other than a chance to help someone (and take on a fun challenge!)

I found a motor in a huge zero vis lake with a muck bottom!

jackconnick:
I think it's illegal to dive in Lake Washington/Seward park area. A police permit might be obtained - maybe.

But, I hate to break it to you, a diver probably isn't going to find it. That bottom is muck and the visibility is like 1-3' at best, a lot less if you touch the bottom. Anything dropped sinks in.

I don't think anyone is going to try it on a "reward" basis. Not a good chance of finding anything. I don't know of anyone renting metal detectors around here, but it would take probably a couple to have any hope.

Sorry, but you might try to make a claim against your homeowners insurance.

Jack

Firebrand:
Well, if I were in the Seattle area, I'd help you out, but I'm too far away in North Alabama. Here's another thought you might consider. Contact a local dive shop that is conducting Advanced Open Water training for search and recovery. They might be able to help you out (if the instructor OK's metal detectors). I've done a few shark tooth dives in FL where the visibility isn't that good, and the bottom is sand and rock, but again, I'm too far away. Best of luck to you. I had lost my wedding ring once, but some other people helped me find it rather quickly.

I couldn't even find a weight belt on my AOW Search & Recovery dive. I suspect students on the first S&R experience are more likely to bury the thing deeper than find it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom