Lots of new DIY projects

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Haven't posted here in a while, but that doesn't mean I have stopped creating. Actually it means I have been doing a LOT of creating.

I'll post more info when I get home and have a chance, but projects done or in progress are:

DIY DiveRite QRM clone with plans. First version video is here, it has been improved.
Sidemount wings. I have now made and used 2 different construction styles and am working on a 3rd. The 3rd if it works should be both bombproof and easy for others to make.
  1. Heat sealed taffeta bladder in 500 D outer shell
  2. Just made and tested (took me one afternoon), 2 layer heat sealed taffeta wing. Tools/materials needed are heatsealable fabric, a household iron, sewing machine, small amount to AquaSeal (I don't trust heat sealed seams - always back them up with sewn and sealed ones.)
  3. 500D Packcloth (not heat sealable, not fully waterproof) sewed bladder with AquaSeal coating. This is the one I have high hopes for. All that is needed for construction is a sewing machine and an 8 ounce tube of AquaSeal.
Types 1 and 2 are suitable for standard donut wings, not sure about the perimeter stitch sealing on type 3. If I was buying more heatsealable fabric it would be the 500D Packcloth from Seattle fabrics. That is stiff enough to not need the 2 layer construction.

FYI, my last 200 or so dives have been on DIY wings.

Sidemount harness and DIY hardware (aluminum). I threw one together for a friend who wanted to try SM and then made stuff for a real harness for him. In the meantime I decided I wanted an adjustable one for buddies who wanted to try SM. Yes I'm evangelical on the subject and no I don't cave dive. I just find it easier for my (almost) 60 yo bones and beach diving.

Camera tray and ball joints for lights.

have you found a source for aluminum drings and slides? I am looking for some to drop some weight on my travel rig

Yes, it is called surplus aluminum plate, a drill press, scroll saw, and sandpaper. Pick your thickness.

Back
Top Bottom