Loud BANG, lots of bubbles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stretchthepenn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A story from today's dives, for your edification and amusement.

My dive buddy and I primarily dive SM, and today, we dived a quarry to practice our AN/DP skills -- swim a route, ditch-and-don two deco tanks, blow a bag, practice two NOTOX gas switches on the way up. Not a huge deal...we were only in 20-40' of water and running drills we've done over and over again, but these are perishable skills, and we need to knock some of the rust off after a regrettably dive-light winter. And I was using new deco regs, so I needed to learn their quirks.

The first dive was chill. The second got exciting.

On the second dive, everything up to the second simulated deco hang went fine. We swam our route, completed skills along the way, blew our bags, and ascended to the target depth of 30'. There, we made our initial NOTOX switches, chilled out for 2 minutes, prepped the next switch while waiting, and then ascended to 20' for the second gas switch.

Everything went well until about a minute into the second hang, when I heard and felt a nearly deafening BANG and the water around me turned white. And, when I tried to inhale, nothing came in.

You guessed it...my second stage had popped off the hose, and a loose hose was whipping around, venting NOx50 like mad.

I kept my head. Mostly. I felt dazed from the blast, but reason quickly returned. I pulled the loose second from my mouth and replaced it with my necklace reg. In doing so, I lost my downline in the bubble storm and must've started sucking air like mad because I started to ascend, and went up faster -- much faster -- than I wanted to. Happily, I exhaled constantly so I didn't embolize, and I was right next to a buoy line, so I used it to arrest my upward motion at 10'. I then vented my bladder and drysuit, closed the offending tank, breathed air while I generally got my crap reorganized, and surfaced with my buddy.

So, basically, I experienced a lost-gas scenario/OOA during (simulated) accelerated deco and dealt with it successfully. But I could've done better.

Lessons:
1. Tighten down the second stage connections, especially when diving a new reg.
2. Chill, yo. Breathe evenly, especially when there's a problem.
3. Keep hold of my personal downline. If I exhale enough to sink and/or I emergency-vent, I can return to my target depth and avoid bending myself.
4. Air is a good choice, but once the situation is handled, think about switching to the next-deepest deco gas. It'll still probably be useful.

I would have thought you vented your bladder sooner :wink:

it’s a good idea to test those hose connection often, they don’t need to be super tight but snug, I lost a second stage off of a pony once because I didn’t check.

overall a great training experience.

What is "NOTOX"?
What is "NOx50"?

I don't think I have ever seen these terms.

TIA

rx7diver
NOTOX -- PADI's acronym for the gas-switch protocol (Note tank markings, Observe actual depth, Turn on valve, Orient second stage, eXamine buddy's hose)

NOx50 -- nitrox 50; 50% O2

A story from today's dives, for your edification and amusement.

My dive buddy and I primarily dive SM, and today, we dived a quarry to practice our AN/DP skills -- swim a route, ditch-and-don two deco tanks, blow a bag, practice two NOTOX gas switches on the way up. Not a huge deal...we were only in 20-40' of water and running drills we've done over and over again, but these are perishable skills, and we need to knock some of the rust off after a regrettably dive-light winter. And I was using new deco regs, so I needed to learn their quirks.

The first dive was chill. The second got exciting.

On the second dive, everything up to the second simulated deco hang went fine. We swam our route, completed skills along the way, blew our bags, and ascended to the target depth of 30'. There, we made our initial NOTOX switches, chilled out for 2 minutes, prepped the next switch while waiting, and then ascended to 20' for the second gas switch.

Everything went well until about a minute into the second hang, when I heard and felt a nearly deafening BANG and the water around me turned white. And, when I tried to inhale, nothing came in.

You guessed it...my second stage had popped off the hose, and a loose hose was whipping around, venting NOx50 like mad.

I kept my head. Mostly. I felt dazed from the blast, but reason quickly returned. I pulled the loose second from my mouth and replaced it with my necklace reg. In doing so, I lost my downline in the bubble storm and must've started sucking air like mad because I started to ascend, and went up faster -- much faster -- than I wanted to. Happily, I exhaled constantly so I didn't embolize, and I was right next to a buoy line, so I used it to arrest my upward motion at 10'. I then vented my bladder and drysuit, closed the offending tank, breathed air while I generally got my crap reorganized, and surfaced with my buddy.

So, basically, I experienced a lost-gas scenario/OOA during (simulated) accelerated deco and dealt with it successfully. But I could've done better.

Lessons:
1. Tighten down the second stage connections, especially when diving a new reg.
2. Chill, yo. Breathe evenly, especially when there's a problem.
3. Keep hold of my personal downline. If I exhale enough to sink and/or I emergency-vent, I can return to my target depth and avoid bending myself.
4. Air is a good choice, but once the situation is handled, think about switching to the next-deepest deco gas. It'll still probably be useful.

Did you tighten the 2nd stage, or someone else? I know some people like to do finger tight, personally I use a set of wrenches just a hair past finger tight.

Good deal though.... much better to have happen and gain the experience on a benign dive than any other.

Did you tighten the 2nd stage, or someone else? I know some people like to do finger tight, personally I use a set of wrenches just a hair past finger tight.

Good deal though.... much better to have happen and gain the experience on a benign dive than any other.
The 2nd stage was factory-tightened. I didn't futz with it before the dives. Afterward, I tightened both the new 2nd stages with wrenches and gave 'em a tiny little tug.

The 2nd stage was factory-tightened. I didn't futz with it before the dives. Afterward, I tightened both the new 2nd stages with wrenches and gave 'em a tiny little tug.

You mean factory-not-tightened:)

I learned a very long time ago to NOT trust that a brand new reg has been properly set up from the factory: The first time I used my first brand new Poseidon Odin was on a Great Lakes extended range dive. I remember b----ing about what a #@$%&* pig it was (compared to my Scubapro Mk 10 + D400) when I surfaced from that dive. My friend and tech instructor (who owned the dive shop I purchased the Odin from) was on that dive trip then took a couple of minutes to tune it. Next dive was like night and day: My Odin dove much, much nicer. (Still no D400, though! Still fed me ice to chew on!!)

rx7diver

must've started sucking air like mad because I started to ascend, and went up faster -- much faster -- than I wanted to.
Most likely you were going up NOT because of breathing hard but rather because you were dragged along by the rising bubble cloud. Something similar happened to my buddy recently at about 60 ft; he was on a single BM tank; he was venting his BCD as fast as he could when he started going up. I gave him my reg and tried to shut off his gas. Someone else was holding onto my fin. Even so, with me sort of on top of him pushing down, my fin being held, and him venting, we went to the surface in a bit over 20 seconds; my ascent rate on my computer showed 132 ft/min on the last 10s data point. We sucked on O2 at the surface. No ill effects.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom