Love my HPR, I get positive and Negative attention. About the Negative attention:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was lectured by the scuba police this weekend, given the typical lecture of “you are doing a very dangerous thing; you will die on your dive”. The reason for the lecture was that my scuba regulator did not meet their definition of a safe regulator.

I dive a Phoenix HPR Royal double-hose regulator. When I asked the scuba police why I was going to die and what was dangerous, the response I was given is that my scuba regulator is old. The scuba police gave no additional information to support their claim only that all double-hose regulators are old and unsafe...

...Who trained Cousteau and Gagnan? They invented the Scuba regulator. Am I not allowed to teach myself through studying and practice and eventually creating my own scuba system just like Cousteau and Gagnan did? If they spent the time teaching themselves, shouldn’t I be able to do the same and not get attacked for it?
Who trained Cousteau? Experience, much good, some bad, some downright nasty (one Cousteau diver did die, Maurice Fargues; Cousteau and Dumas almost died several times--Cousteau to oxygen poisoning from a rebreather before he developed the compressed air regulator and the two of them to CO poisoning in the Fountain of Vaucluse near Avignon, France). Gagnan did not do much diving; he was the engineer.

I started diving in 1959, and was certified LA County in 1963. Between 1959 and 1963, I was learning on my own. My text? The Silent World, by Jacques Cousteau, and any other diving publication I could find. I must have read The Silent World three times. If you read it cover-to-cover three times, you'll get enough vicarious experience to avoid most of the "traps" that diving has in store. Add to that a set of dive tables from The New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving about the physiology of diving, associated reading, a depth gauge (my first was a capillary gauge--simple and almost fail-safe), and a watch, a good swimming/snorkeling background, and you have a fairly safe diver, even without certification.

I did also get certified by the U.S. Naval School for Underwater Swimmers in 1967, and as a NAUI Instructor #2710 in 1973. I wrote articles on buoyancy control and emergency procedures for NAUI News, and for the Sixth and Seventh International Conferences on Underwater Education (IQ6 and IQ7).

The "scuba police," those self-appointed "experts" on diving, really have no idea of how to learn anything. I am still learning, by procuring older equipment, figuring out how it works and how it doesn't, and writing about it. My most recent project was the Dacor Nautilus Constant Volume System (CVS), a BC that only needs one adjustment to keep a diver in trim throughout the dive. Usually they try to scare people into buying expensive gear, some of which is useful, some of which is redundant and originally used for deeper diving or cave diving (octopus regulator, pony bottle, redundant regulators on independent doubles, etc.), and some of which is to me ridiculous (double tanks with additional slung bottles) for normal diving. These divers don't know how to dive free. For someone such as me who helped develop buoyancy compensation concepts, today's emphasis on BCs (which now are more expensive than the scuba itself) shows ignorance of basic diving skills in favor of what we used to call "push-button diving."

Well, I'm only getting started, but it's getting late so I'll leave it at that.

SeaRat

PS, I've enclosed several photos, one in my current gear (with the Para-Sea BC I patented and never got sold) and one of me in parascuba gear from my time at the 304th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron, Portland Air Base, Oregon as a Pararescueman in about 1976. Note that in the 1976 photo, we did not use a SPG or BC during our parascuba jumps. I also added an experimental wet suit, with the BC built into the back by Bill Herder of Deep Sea Bill's, Newport, Oregon in the 1970s. This led to some of the back-inflation concepts when I demoed it at IQ6. I regularly dive my Mossback Mk3 regulator (much like your Phoenix) with my Para-Sea BC, here is Big Cliff Reservoir (photo by Sid Macken). Finally, Sid Macken, President of the Historical Diving Society, was diving with me in Big Cliff Reservoir with a Phoenix Aquamaster just like yours; was he an unsafe diver? I don't think so.

Attachments

• IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Image2.gif
    Image2.gif
    89 KB · Views: 180
  • John diving river--1970s2.jpg
    John diving river--1970s2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 172
  • John Adjusts camera in Big Cliff.jpg
    John Adjusts camera in Big Cliff.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 168
  • Sid with equipment in shallow water.jpg
    Sid with equipment in shallow water.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 160
The scuba police chose to ignore that information, really I just pissed them off even more.
People can be equally offended by innovation or tenacity in holding on to the old ways. In the Scuba World, many believe that if they don't sell, dive or teach something, then it certainly must be junk. If their minds are thus made up, you certainly won't convince them with reasoning and fact. Moreover, trying to reason with them often escalates the drama so why even try? Dive and let dive has been my motto for years. Over the years, I've been criticized for using BWODs (Bungeed Wings o' Death), for creating gear to meet my needs and for modifying gear to meet my needs. If they don't understand it or can't appreciate the process, then I have little to discuss with them. It's not that I can't learn from them, but I simply refuse to stop thinking about how to dive it better.

Pissing someone off is like a delicious cherry on top of the ice-cream sundae of a good dive.
This explains a lot of your posts.

PS, I've enclosed several photos, one in my current gear (with the Para-Sea BC I patented and never got sold) and one of me in parascuba gear from my time at the 304th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron, Portland Air Base, Oregon as a Pararescueman in about 1976. Note that in the 1976 photo, we did not use a SPG or BC during our parascuba jumps. I also added an experimental wet suit, with the BC built into the back by Bill Herder of Deep Sea Bill's, Newport, Oregon in the 1970s. This led to some of the back-inflation concepts when I demoed it at IQ6. I regularly dive my Mossback Mk3 regulator (much like your Phoenix) with my Para-Sea BC, here is Big Cliff Reservoir (photo by Sid Macken). Finally, Sid Macken, President of the Historical Diving Society, was diving with me in Big Cliff Reservoir with a Phoenix Aquamaster just like yours; was he an unsafe diver? I don't think so.
You are my hero! Cool pics!

There's a vaccine for your HPR I think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't you know that if you service your own regulator you could void the manufacturers warranty! (and die)

Oh wait... never mind

:D

I find interactions with scuba police very amusing. They rarely stop to think that they may be talking to someone who's been a diver 35 years and spent the last 20 years working in the biz full time.

Don't you know that if you service your own regulator you could void the manufacturers warranty! (and die)

Oh wait... never mind

:D

I find interactions with scuba police very amusing. They rarely stop to think that they may be talking to someone who's been a diver 35 years and spent the last 20 years working in the biz full time.

Voiding the warranty....please oh please let them use that one on me....I machined the first HPR second stage ever made in my shop (which is also the second stage in the Argo) plus a number of the prototype parts that went into the Argo....my reg still has those prototype parts in it so I AM the manufacturer, not likely to void my own warranty. :)
hin

I have had a local dive shop use the "void warranty" topic on me before, it was about my BC. I made a post about that incident back in I think April, basically I unscrewed my dump valve while cleaning out the BC (Zeagle Scout Wing). I was given the "You're gonna die" lecture. When I bought the wing, one of the primary selling points was that the BC was fully modular and Zeagle backs up that claim.

Back to the HPR, the scuba police telling me that I will void the warranty. The only warranties that I care about in scuba gear, are for dive computers. The cost of regulator service kits and the time to install them your self is typically $100 less than if you were to have the shop do it. Like what previous posters in this thread have pointed out, just because someone is a certified technician, does not mean that they will always do the job properly. What attributed to and resulted in my final decision to service my own scuba gear was the many failed service jobs done by the various dive shops over the years.

Took my family to Grand Cayman for a week, before we left I had the scuba gear certified at my local dive shop (In Tampa, Florida). Upon turning on the tank at the dive site in Grand Cayman, the regulator insta free flowed. Through troubleshooting to taking it to a local dive shop on the island and a day of diving lost, the conclusion was that the technician at home did not install all the service parts and the island shop did not have the parts in stock. I do not like to rent scuba equipment when I have my own, I also do not like spending $120 on an annual service, spending $50 for an emergency inspection on an island, and spending $85 to rent a regulator. Now just take those costs and the frustration of that event and multiply it by 4. The 4 being the number of years in a row that various scuba equipment in my family’s possession that had failed on the yearly dive vacation after getting annual service done. The services were carried out at 3 different dive shops.

My last and hopefully final service done by a dive shop was in late May, I had a 1st and 2nd stage serviced for $120, took it diving and it worked great.... until I adjusted the venturi flow knob on the 2nd stage (which I often do on dives). Insta free-flow and could not stop it. Took it back to the shop, turned out the tech did not test the venturi flow all the way. Asked me why I did not test the equipment to make sure everything worked before I took it diving. I said "I am not a certified repair technician, how would I know what to look for and if I pay you $120 to service this device, why would I have to check to make sure it works when for $120 it better work."

Now that I do my own service work, I know the stuff works because I did the work myself. If I was not confident with my own work, I would pay someone else to do it for me.

You need to find a better shop or better yet do it yourself. Most regs are very simple to service. Get yourself a USD/Al Conshelf or Titan or a SP Mk5 or 10 with a 109. Parts are very easy to get plus there are some very good techs here who can help you along the way. And don't fall for the "special tools" BS, while it is a lot easier to service the regs with the special tools, they are not mandatory. To top that off, I make and sell all the special tools you need for USD regs and SP- MK-5and 10s as well as those for DA/RAM/Phoenix/Argonuat double hoses so those mystical hard to find "special" tools are easy to come by...and fairly inexpensive MK 5 or 10 tools are less than $25.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom