Love snorkeling, HATE the vests!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll let you know as soon as I get one. They're being delivered late this month or next. It's a free diver's safety vest. The "airbags" are triggered by depth or time. Pretty high tech.
Weights....that's kind of based on what depths you're diving, or spearing. If diving beyond 60 feet, you want to be neutral at about 25-30 feet (with a full breath) If diving in 20-30 feet, maybe neutral at 10-15 feet so you can easily lay on the bottom and hide. Being neutral at 15 feet or more helps you surface even if you've blacked out. (the best way to be safe is never free dive alone so your buddy can grab you and get you to the surface)
I don't think the vest itself increases your buoyancy. It may actually be slightly negative with the computer and gas bottle. I"ll know more as soon as it arrives.

You're probably right, I didn't consider the hardware. In terms of weighting routine, I'm with you. Usually wear a 3/2 WS, and with that, if I'm diving anything deeper than 25ft, I go extremely light, 5lbs, so + rubber belt and equipment probably about 7lbs.

---------- Post added April 12th, 2013 at 06:05 PM ----------

I got the Scubapro Cruiser snorkeling vest for my last trip and really liked it. Most of the time I just keep it completely deflated and it feels like I am wearing a vest made of wet suit material (the vest does not have crotch strap). If needed I could very quickly blow it up with the attached air tube in just a couple breath. It does ride up slightly when filled with air but not bad and again most of the time I just keep it deflated - it is more for peace of mind and extra safety when I go off snorkeling by myself.

Works when you're at the surface and conscious, but what if you're 'down 'n out'?? Just saying ...

---------- Post added April 12th, 2013 at 06:05 PM ----------

Works when you're at the surface and conscious, but what if you're 'down 'n out'?? Just saying ...

But that's what the OP was looking for, if I read the original post correctly he wanted to stay at the top comfortably, not necessarily a high-tech life saving device for free divers.

I would ask in advance if they make you wear vests. Since you mentioned the VI, I work at St. Thomas Scuba and Snorkel adventures and we do not make people wear vests. We have them available but most choose not to wear them. We actually have pool noodles that are quite comfortable under the armpits for floaties ;D Our tours are usually a just a couple or family.... not a big group, which most people really enjoy, its more personalized. Look us up on Trip advisor... I also just added some decent pics of our beautiful rock.

Actually I'm sorry to say your problem sounds more like a location problem than an equipment issue. Come swim with us in St.Vincent. No boat rides needed, amazing thriving reefs in shallow calm bays all right from the beach. Secondly you make your own rules, if you want to wear a vest we have 3 different styles to choose from none are those annoying plastic inflatable vests. More importantly if you don't want to wear one, allowing you the freedom to dive down, you don't have too. If you're being restricted by other peoples laws and rules, it's time to set yourself free and come find the Caribbean the way it used to be. Please visit our website at Welcome to Harmony Hall Resorts, St. Vincent | Your Caribbean Dream Vacation made affordable. we have a whole page dedicated to diving and snorkeling. When you're ready to come let us know and we'll be happy to show you some amazing spots.

Back
Top Bottom