Love snorkeling, HATE the vests!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wear a 3 mil wetsuit. It will protect you from sunburn and offer enough floatation that you will not have to inflate those nasty vests. If you go down, however, you will need to wear a weightbelt.

I invented a PFD/BC that did just what you want, but no one would build it. I patented it in the 1980s, and it works very nicely. I'm still using it all these years later. I'd recommend you got a good vest BC, then modify the harness along the lines in my patent for the Para-Sea BC. I developed the harness based upon a parachute harness design I used in the USAF. My first prototype was on a regular PFD for a stroke victim.

SeaRat

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most responders miss the point that some snorkel boats REQUIRE all guests to wear a vest for visibility and identification. They require you wear their vest. Even uninflated, they can "ride up." If you find yourself in this position, and would not normally wear the vest at all, here are my suggestions: 1. Be sure the vest is completely deflated. Do this with the air valve underwater to get everything out. 2. Wear the smallest vest you can get over your head. 3. lose the crotch strap entirely.
DivemasterDennis

Sounds to me like the biggest problem is not you or the vest but where you are snorkeling. Come snorkel with us in St.Vincent. We don't wear vests, we swim. That way you can free dive down and not have to worry about fighting with your equipment. Lots of thriving reefs in shallow calm bays. No boat rides needed if you don't want. swim with the turtles. Roped off seas at "private resorts" and "guided" tours that have "rules and regulations" are not what the oceans are about. They are about floating and feeling free and relaxing into mother natures arms. Get away from wherever it is you've been going at fide some freedom in your hobby. Our red carpet will be rolled out and waiting for you. Let us show you what real snorkeling really is. Welcome to Harmony Hall Resorts, St. Vincent | Your Caribbean Dream Vacation made affordable.

Looks like it's working very well ... How exactly does the trigger work, and how much extra weight to compensate for the additional buoyancy?

I'll let you know as soon as I get one. They're being delivered late this month or next. It's a free diver's safety vest. The "airbags" are triggered by depth or time. Pretty high tech.
Weights....that's kind of based on what depths you're diving, or spearing. If diving beyond 60 feet, you want to be neutral at about 25-30 feet (with a full breath) If diving in 20-30 feet, maybe neutral at 10-15 feet so you can easily lay on the bottom and hide. Being neutral at 15 feet or more helps you surface even if you've blacked out. (the best way to be safe is never free dive alone so your buddy can grab you and get you to the surface)
I don't think the vest itself increases your buoyancy. It may actually be slightly negative with the computer and gas bottle. I"ll know more as soon as it arrives.

I got the Scubapro Cruiser snorkeling vest for my last trip and really liked it. Most of the time I just keep it completely deflated and it feels like I am wearing a vest made of wet suit material (the vest does not have crotch strap). If needed I could very quickly blow it up with the attached air tube in just a couple breath. It does ride up slightly when filled with air but not bad and again most of the time I just keep it deflated - it is more for peace of mind and extra safety when I go off snorkeling by myself.

Back
Top Bottom