Lovers point Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dryglove

Contributor
Reaction score
City of pacific grove, lovers point. From may1 through sept 30, on friday through monday, all diving on the east side of lovers is prohibited(which is the side we will be diving).However diving is permitted on the east side of the point southerly of the pier from sunset through 11:30 am.That means you and your gear must be off the beach.

Has anyone dove Lovers in a while and how strict are they on enforcing this. I was told to get my gear off of the beach once a few years back but was allowed to dive the rest of the day. Other than that i have never had any problems diving there.I havent dove there in over a year and wonder what its like now as we are planning a few dives there.

I was there a month or two ago and had no problems. I didn't even see anyone who would be enforcing any rules. But I was with the University AOW class that day and I don't recall any other divers.

Also, I suit up in the parking lot and only use the beach to walk across.

And when you suit up, remember that the guy living across the street...well, lives there. He doesn't want to see your hairy butt first thing Sunday morning as he's drinking his coffee. ;-)

A little consideration goes a long way in keeping our access to the coast open.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
And when you suit up, remember that the guy living across the street...well, lives there. He doesn't want to see your hairy butt first thing Sunday morning as he's drinking his coffee. ;-)

A little consideration goes a long way in keeping our access to the coast open.

I totally agree with that. I have seen dudes practically get naked when changing into their dive suit. I dont mind if the women were to do that as long as they are good looking :wink:

The Beach belongs to all of us, not just Monterey residents, divers spend a lot of money in Monterey, I can understand some of the spearfishing restrictions due to public safety but dive entry? Give us a break Monterey:) zeN||

Is that the side where people surf by any chance?

Actually I think it's fair that there are some limitations on diving there - this is the only public beach I'm aware of in Monterey with diver limitations (apart from parking restrictions elsewhere). Access to Pebble Beach is limited and you need to pre-book, but that's only because the land around the beach is privately-controlled, and they don't want the Pebble Beach Tennis Club carpark full of divers cars instead of their members cars.

If I were a non-diver, with a family and small kids, I could understand wanting to go to a beach without scuba divers once in a while where there's no divers with 70lb of gear on falling over in the surf next to where my kids are playing :) Not many non-divers use the beach at Breakwater, it's scuba territory. Anyone showing up for a picnic on the grass on a saturday is in for a rude surprise because the place is overrun with divers.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Is that the side where people surf by any chance?

Are you talking about the other side of the point that is open to the ocean. If so that is not the side that is regulated(i think). The regulated area is where the cove is. At least that was the side where they told us we had to remove our gear from the beach area.

If you look at the cove area and divide the beach in two seperate sections using the pier as the divider.The half of the beach that is closest to the breakwater side is off limits and the other half is diveable till no later than 11:30am from may1 through sept 30, on friday through monday .

If i have any of this wrong somebody in the know please correct this.:D

It's all a matter of balance. I have a family, and I have no problem taking them somewhere where there are divers. I don't think it's very likely that a diver is going to drop a tank on my kids.

On the other hand, some people are very inconsiderate. This usually causes problems for all of us. I remember when you could park and dive and change anywhere you wanted in Monterey.

Obviously divers DO spend money in Monterey. The local economy is basically all tourist based, so they are not going to do anything to discourage people from visiting. They don't care if you come to dive or to buy really bad semi-art at a Kincaid gallery. They just want your money.

With that in mind, there must have been a reason why divers got more restricted in their access.

A long time ago there was a movement to mark the money spend by divers with a little stamp so that the local businesses realize which side their bread is buttered on. Not that I would advocate this, defacing money is AFAIK a federal offense. I think the stamp said "diver money".

Perhaps a more reasonable approach is to simply be as curteous as possible and keep an eye on other divers. If they act like jerks, explain to them what the consequences of their actions are, i.e. restricted access.

A long time ago there was a movement to mark the money spend by divers with a little stamp so that the local businesses realize which side their bread is buttered on. Not that I would advocate this, defacing money is AFAIK a federal offense. I think the stamp said "diver money".

How about a legal alternative. Many years ago the Army paid its soldiers in $2.00 bills so the local community could see the Soldier's money and how it flowed through the economy. So how about the divers getting $2.00 bills at the bank for their spending money. The local community will soon get the word that a $2.00 means the money entered the economy from a diver.

The first time I dove Monterey I dove the restricted side of Lovers Cove. There were no signs so how was I suppose to know. But I abandoned it after crawling out for ever over the rocks and eel grass for the south side of the cove.

Up here in Humboldt County they still have marked money. I dont see it as much now that Im no longer bartending, but I used to get a few bills every night that said something along the lines of "pot dollars". I used to get a kick out of it. Come to think of it, I saw alot of money that was defaced. One time someone had their grocery list on a $20, and another time I got a $100 that said "here *****, now shut up".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom