Low Budget trip to Raja Ampat in February 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As a diving freak, I always considered Raja Ampat a mythical place, but to be too expensive to visit. Now some friends who did it ànd this site inspired me to do it anyway: Home - Budget accommodation in Raja Ampat, Indonesia Check it out, it's very informative! So it is possible to do it on a bit of a budget...

Unfortunately, none of my diving friends can come along for this, so most likely I'll be doing it alone. Is there any place in Raja Ampat where you can meet other travelers or is everybody pretty much confined to the island where they stay? If so, what would be a good place to stay, to meet some other diving-freaks. Is there any social scene overthere?

I'm also open to suggestions on cool people wanting to join on this trip, I'm a 33 yr old, with about 250 dives & very much into UW-photography.
Because "happyness is only real when shared" ;-)

Greetings from belgium

I found that site also very helpful if you are NOT on a budget, as there are lots of links to things I could not find elsewhere, like maps of the dive sites. Very informative.

Glad you like it :)
Has anyone here been to Raja Ampat without taking a liveaboard?

Glad you like it :)
Has anyone here been to Raja Ampat without taking a liveaboard?
yes, I was diving oon the first week of april with RADL located on Mansuar , the island next to Kri.
Luckily enough, I had my own boat, two diveguides and the best sites only for myself while 6 liveaboards were fighting between themselves to get on the sites first.

I must say that if you're limited to Dampier straits, I don't understand now why you should dive with a Liveaboard. More expensive, more divers, less comfort and less flexibility.

A liveaboard would be justified if you expect to dive southern sites... while the northern hotspots are easily accessible from a resort.

Another Otdima fish soup by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Sweetlips on a shelf by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Hmmmm..... I usually agree with Luko but....

I've done both land-based from Mansuar and LOB to north & the south (and in full disclosure, I work on a LOB in RA at times). On my land-based trips I usually had 8 people on the boat at a time and we always dived at sites where / when no other divers were at the same site. That's awesome enough for me. It's also nice for some people to have sand under their toes and wi-fi available. That said, I hated the commutes to dive sites that could be 20-60 minutes away and there were not so many places in that range so we doubled up on some sites. We were also limited to 3 boat dives per day but that still meant about 4 hours commuting for 3 hours of diving. On LOB's, commuting time is spent eating, sleeping, getting a massage, chatting, reading, watching a movie, etc. That makes 4 dives/day feel relaxing. Also, while there may be a boatload of divers at on one site, most of the time, you only see your smaller group (e.g., 4 divers per guide). Finally, the sites down south are better IMHO, unless you are most keen to see sharks & mantas which are seen more in the north.

bubble dragon-
have you planned your trip? I would like to join!

I just came back from a five months trip to Indonesia and during this time I went twice to R4. First, one week at Kri Eco Resort the beginning of October and second, two weeks at Raja Ampat Biodiversity at the end of November. As I travelled on a "tight" budget I also considered staying at a home stay and diving with them. When I saw their boats (no oxygen, no ladder, no shade...) and met some of their dive guides, I was glad I didn't go for this option. I really wouldn't have felt safe. For example one time there where seven divers plus one dive guide (not sure if he really has a certification as dive master..) and the first one at the surface was the dive guide with one of his guests. The other six divers (levels unknown) explored the dive site "Blue Magic" on their own. Luckily the current wasn't too fierce that day... But if you are a very experienced diver and know how to handle for example down currents (had them at different dive sites): why not. If you can spend a bit more I would recommend you to check Raja Ampat Biodiversity, there you really get something for your money.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom