Low pressure hose failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If most people will think about the reason for the LP hose failure emptying a tank quicker, they will understand. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the interior diameter differences between the LP and HP hoses. (I gave them a thank you for that.) The issue here is not pressure, but volume. The LP hose allows a much larger volume of air to escape than the HP hose can allow, therefore emptying the tanks much faster. I was witness to an HP failure years ago (the SPG blew out) and the diver calmly started his ascent. There was plenty of air for him to make it to the surface. BTW, I was taught this in my OW class.

In the case of a LP hose failure, there's a no replacement for a good dive buddy.

Agreed, as long as you include little yellow 19cf aluminum buddies... which, despite all the cries from smug SB'ers that ponies are equipment being used to solve diver training problems, would have worked just fine in this case, sans a human buddy.

That's why it's called a bailout pony.

>*< Fritz

Had a LP hose burst on me a couple of years ago- fairly shallow towards the end of a dive. The interior braid didn't come apart so it just started fizzing a whole lot. The split in the outer cover was around 6" long.

Had my pony with me so not a big deal once I got over the loud bang right behind my head.

:D

Greetings, first off I am very glad to be posting this message, and I thank my Buddy for being there when I needed him.
From the attached picture you can see a low pressure hose with swage and a hose barb. The hose did have a protector on it at the time I have since removed it to inspect the swage and hose. These two pieces are normally joined togeather for ever and ever amen, you would think. In this particular case however 20 minutes into the dive at 70 FSW, with about 800 lbs of air remaining turning my head to the right to see if my buddy was follwoing to the the ascent line, they decided to part company, something less than 10 seconds later I had NO AIR. This story has a happy ending, my compentent buddy was there as soon as he heard it go off, I am now the proud owner of a 19 cuft pony bottle with back up reg.

I dive a lot this set of regs has 200-300 dives, I look after them, there is no signs of wear or stress.

So far nobody I have talked to has ever heard of this happening before let alone why.
Any ideas comments appreciated.

Lessons Learned : Dive with a buddy, dive with a pony, tell your family and friends you love them and enjoy knowing them.

Peter

In my former life as a mechanic over 25 years I worked with low, medium and high pressure air and hydraulic hose. That looks similar to a low pressure push lock fitting that normally is not attached by the swaging process, rather it is held in place by a hose clamp. Very interesting indeed. Glad to hear that in the end it turned out well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom