low visibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i agree with steve 50; hold onto your buddy's spg- usually i make sure i am the one holding onto the gauge- i know my buddy is there and i can see how much air he has

?a short rope--couple feet looks like is all you'll need....

In conditions like that stay side by side close enogh you bump in to eaother and I use my dive light to let my dive buddy know I am still close by with out him having to turn his head . I swing my light beam out in front of him he sees my light he knows I am there If I filip my light back and forth rapidly that means I need your attention . This sistem work well for us . The lower the viz the closer we swim

Only way not to lose each other ion those conditions is Touch Contact. i.e one diver holds onto the other. Holding onto an arm or leg(rather than a BC) means the other diver can feel you and knows you are there.

Unless its a temporary situation diving in really bad viz is pretty pointless. You also need to be prepared to dive solo. (Hard to fix a buddys problem if you can't even see it)

Bump diving with the opposite sex.
Leave peoples hoses alone.
Buy or make a Hulbert.

Personally I have dove a number of times in near zero vis and in my opinion it's not a good entry level situation. I know a lot of divers and only a couple that will dive in conditions like that. Every time I have done it it was for a specific purpose like searching for something, otherwise I would try to wait until the vis is more conducive to diving in. Diving is a visual sport at least to most folks so being in a blackout sort of alters the purpose.

We generally have strobes attached to our shoulders that lets us keep track of each other and if it gets really bad we will grab onto each others bc's that way one person can let go and signal with one hand and shine their torch on their signal with the other hand and there is always at least one of us holding onto the other is one of us needs to use two hands.

If things get so bad that we cant even see each others signals when we hold them right against our buddies mask with the torch on them what we do is "mold" each other hands so for instance if i wanted to go up i would take my buddies hand and move his fingers so that he was making the "go up" signal with his hand. He can then feel what signal he is making and know what i am saying, he would then grab my hand and give the replay by doing the same thing to me.

We tend not to use ropes between buddies unless we are doing a search pattern as we found that they got tangled easily. We actually had a couple of guys using a buddy to buddy line and they accidentally swam either side of a metal post that was sticking up between them. As you can probably imagine they ended up swimming round the post till they banged into each other :D

Back
Top Bottom