LP 85 cu-ft tanks versus HP 100 steels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the LP85 are preferred because they give same or more air as AL80 with similar buoyancy but HP100 are too negative?

(Ignoring price for this comparison)

There are lots of people who like the hp 100's especially the true hp 100's that fill to.3500 psi. In sidemount the butts of the Faber lp 85's start to float up around 2000 psi. For most cave diving in Florida this isn't an issue because the dives are normally turned at 2400 psi and with the flow in most caves they are usually not breathed down below 2000 psi very often.

Now there are people who love their old hp100's made by PST and I am one of them. The butts don't ride up and they are slightly more negative than the E7 100's that are so often categorized as hp tanks. The E7 tanks fill to 3442 and are often wrongly called hp tanks.

One of my pet peaves that you see often in Florida cave diving is the use of Faber Lp tanks with no added weight on the diver. This is often the standard practice and works as long as the tank isn't breathed way down. As stated above most cave divers don't breathe their tanks down on a normal dive. Most of them have never done a buoyancy check with less than 500 psi in their tanks. With Faber lp tanks breathed down to almost nothing most divers will not be able to maintain their buoyancy. For some reason most instructors ignore this in their sidemount or cave classes and during an emergency the diver often has to be held down by another diver. I think this is often done because some sidemount instructors use the selling point of this harness trims out without any added weight. It also makes the wing less bulky as less air is needed since adding the weight to be neutral at 10' with nearly empty tanks would require more air in the wing on a normal dive.

So to answer your question there are lots of Florida cave divers diving Faber lp 85's because they do hold slightly more air than hp100's. I don't think you can say that they are preferred though as many more experienced divers prefer the hp100's for their buoyancy characteristics. Either will work just make sure you can hold a stop with nearly empty tanks unlike what many Florida cave divers do.

The new Faber hot dipped tanks are rated at +2.32# empty. After a valve and regulator, that should be pretty close to neutral at 500psi.

Is there a reason to prefer the negative HP100 over that if you're not trying to drop lead?

Btw, when you say old PST HP100 do you mean with the 7/8" necks?

The new Faber hot dipped tanks are rated at +2.32# empty. After a valve and regulator, that should be pretty close to neutral at 500psi.

Is there a reason to prefer the negative HP100 over that if you're not trying to drop lead?

If you don't care or need the weight of the hp100's and floaty bottom tanks don't bother you if you are in sidemount then do what makes you happy. There are lots of people diving Faber lp85's and like them.

Yes the true hp100's made by PST with a fill pressure of 3500 psi have the 7/8" small valves. The E7 tanks that have a fill pressure of 3442 use the standard 3/4" bigger valve.

for salt water use the PST's are much better. The hot dip galvanizing holds up a lot better than the paint on fabers and PST never made a LP85 that is comparable to the Faber equivalent.

Sounds like the Faber Lp85 is no worse than the AL80 I use now. Will try and find some to try.

Might try the HP100 too for when I end up going drysuit.

Sounds like the Faber Lp85 is no worse than the AL80 I use now. Will try and find some to try.

Might try the HP100 too for when I end up going drysuit.
I dropped 10 pounds of lead I use with al80s and the faber lp85s were still good at 70 bar.

How come you dropped so much weight if difference in buoyancy isn't that much? the faber LP85 is about +2 while AL80 is about +3-4? Combined difference of 2-4 only.

Damned if I know. Jon Bernot was highly confident that the change to the lp85s from al80s would eliminate the lead and give me a lot more gas and he was right.

How come you dropped so much weight if difference in buoyancy isn't that much? the faber LP85 is about +2 while AL80 is about +3-4? Combined difference of 2-4 only.

That number is not including a valve for the lp85. The lp85 is neutral after you add a valve whereas a luxfer 80 is still 4 pounds positive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom