LP 85 cu-ft tanks versus HP 100 steels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the LP85 are preferred because they give same or more air as AL80 with similar buoyancy but HP100 are too negative?

(Ignoring price for this comparison)

I would say similar capacity and out of water weight as al 80 but he buoyancy like a hp100 al +3>-3 and lp85 0> -6. al80 77 cuft lp85 is 86 at b2400 psi 85 at 2640 and about 95 at 3000 psi

make psi cu ft dia H weight buoyancy

Catalina S80 3000 77.4 7.25 25.8 31.6 4> -1.8
OMS 85 2400 +10% 85 7 26 31 0 >-6.7

A big advantage using the lp85's is the weight being same as al80 and youcan over fil them to shhhhh.... 4k and get a bunch of air. normally I see cavers using larger tanks like 104's or larger soteh twin lp85's are controlling the turn point of the dive and that is undesirable. going to the 104's of similar tanks you get another 25% gas but he the out of water weight is tremendous. the 85's at 4k is abaout 130 cuft and the lp 104's are about 160 each per tank. so 85's will have about 250 cuft when twinned and the 104's about 320. the 104's are a whole additional al80 more.

Yeah I just bought two of the new hot dipped galvanized tanks LP 85's... Pretty silver in the morning and a lot uglier by the end of the day. I won't know if the corrosion hype is true for a few years, i suppose.
Well, the silver painted fabers are not holding up to being skidded across my plastic tailgate and the rubber bed liner. The bottom coat seeems ok, but the clear coat and silver peels easily.

Dumpster Diver: I have 4 of the Worthington LP85s; 2 of them in Palm Beach. The Force E guys pump it up to 3200 even though I've written on there with a sharpie 2400 psi. I do love the tanks; they have nice profile and trim well. Also not too heavy.

I wrote 3,000 psi max on mine.. Somewhere around that number seems reasonable.. That is the way I have treated all my LP (2,400 psi) tanks for 20 years now without a problem. People mentioned filling them to 4,000 psi.. seems scary, not sure if my 30 yr old first stage seat would like 4000 anyway. BTW, i sold that other little yellow tank. i added two tanks and sold two..My garage is maxed out already.

I wrote 3,000 psi max on mine...
LOL. I don't think they look at that at all.They fill them (a little fast in fact) and send you on your way. The tank they fill it in is refrigirated. When you get back in the FL sun, it heats up even more. Not uncommon to see my LP85s at 3200 when I start the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom