LP, HP or aluminum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a full set of specs on those if you have them available.

I found the thread in which you commented on them, but you didn't post the actual specs....

(If you're getting some I might want a couple as well - so here's an incentive! :))

What the shop told me is that DOT does not want any new LP Tanks made. Don't know if it's true its just what they said.

ScubaDan once bubbled...
What the shop told me is that DOT does not want any new LP Tanks made. Don't know if it's true its just what they said.

More BS is found in dive shops than in stock yards!

DSAO!!

then the game is over for high quality LP tanks.

The paint-galvanized process sucks rocks through a hose.

The hot spray-galvanized one is FAR superior, and unless you use your tanks only in fresh water its a very, very big deal.

If PST changes their line as Mike has said they intend to do, then the choice will be either their new line of tanks or no steelies at all for me, because I refuse to accept inferior quality for the same (or even a higher) price.

The hot dip process is great but make sure when you get it hydrod that the facility knows the special procedures for testing theses tanks.. I have seen tanks condemmed because the proper procedure was not followed they just went by the test presssure, which withhout using a special procedure will have the cylinders failed.. Some hydro places drill a hole in the cylinder so they can no longer be filled, some stamp the tanks as condemmed other just return them...

I have several sets of painted steel tanks (fabers both those sold by scubapro, OMS and abysmal) my oldest is about 15 years old and there are no real rusting issues(the only rusting on my takes is where new hydro stamps have been placed) and I dive mostly in Salt Water as long as the tanks are properly rinsed you shouldn't have any rusting.. My OMS tanks are some of my newest (just about 5 years old) and look as good as the day I purchased them.

Here's the procedure that padiscubapro referred to:

http://www.pstscuba.com/tech.htm

I always tape a copy to the cylinder when I drop my cylinders off for testing...

Roak

when it comes time for a Hydro I won't do it at a LDS - I'll find a certified place locally and take them there myself.

There's no reason to pay the markup on this one at all.

Genesis once bubbled...
when it comes time for a Hydro I won't do it at a LDS - I'll find a certified place locally and take them there myself.

There's no reason to pay the markup on this one at all.

Just be sure of the procedures involved.. most hydro facilities are used to doing things like fire extinguishers and industrial cylinders.. You will also probably have to tumble and definately clean the cylinder after getting it hydrod (this is usually done by your LDS). Scuba cylinders are usuallly a small percentage of their hydros(and mnay use the same water over and over and over again)... and I bet many have never seen PST cylinders...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom