LP Inflator o ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have probably serviced about 150 sets of regs so far. I would say on average about 1 in 15 I struggle with replacing the oring on the LPi hose. Most of the time I manage to pop them in in a few seconds but the odd one here and there causes problems. Has anyone got a magic fix please.

Thanks

Take out the Schrader valve (I find this gives more room to work if you inadvertently push the o ring in too far and need to fish it out to start again), insert the o ring until one side of it is in the groove and the other is still outside but closer to the open end than the Schrader end. Then, slowly and gently insert a spare nipple of the correct type. This will push the part of the o ring not in the groove down uniformly. You'll feel it go "pop" and the spare nipple should sit all the way in normally. Remove the nipple and have a look inside, the o ring should now be in the groove all the way round. Replace the Schrader, job done.

HTH

Get yourself a small screw with a plain head as wide as the inside of inflator connector with a nut.

Remove the Schrader valve and the old o-ring, screw the nut to a level which makes the top of the screw even with the lower part of the o-ring groove (the first time you have maybe to try a couple of times), insert the screw into the Schrader valve orifice, put the o-ring on one side into the o-ring groove and push with a dowel (?) as wide as the Inflator orifice or some small pliers the o-ring into the groove.

With those 'tools' it takes not more than twenty seconds to install the new o-ring if the old o-ring is removed and the Schrader valve comes off easily.:)

Get yourself a small screw with a plain head as wide as the inside of inflator connector with a nut.

Remove the Schrader valve and the old o-ring, screw the nut to a level which makes the top of the screw even with the lower part of the o-ring groove (the first time you have maybe to try a couple of times), insert the screw into the Schrader valve orifice, put the o-ring on one side into the o-ring groove and push with a dowel (?) as wide as the Inflator orifice or some small pliers the o-ring into the groove.

With those 'tools' it takes not more than twenty seconds to install the new o-ring if the old o-ring is removed and the Schrader valve comes off easily.:)

Are you saying the screw should be the same size thread as the schr
aeder valve if so do you know what thread size it is?

No, the screw should be smaller to let it just fall into the orifice. The nut should be big enough to prevent the screw to fall completely into the hose and to lay on the shoulder of the orifice. You just shake it out after the procedure.

The distance between the nut and the screw head should be adjusted until the head is plain with the lower level of the o-ring groove.

If you find a screw with a screw head that is thick enough you might not even need a nut to adjust.

:)

Guys, As a combination of what you have both done this is what I cam up with. M4 Screw and M4 nut. The latter will just sneak through the oring once fitted. The screw head was a little large so I put it in a drill and filed it down. Little crude but I was then able to turn the screw out to the point where I was able tograb it and bring the nut with it. All in all worked ok, will look to finese it a little possibly even a screw with same thread as the schraeder valve which is probably something weird like "British Cycle Thread" or something.

So nice new 011 ring in place and it just sits too proud and the fitting will not go past it. I have been through all the rings of that diameter that I took out and it would seem they are all 011s as far as I can see nothing in the groove either so it must be made for some oddball size or they have managed to get away with it, any suggestions? In the meantime I have fitted a new hose, just don't like loose ends.!

Thanks for help and suggestions

Haven't found out yet which size those odd ball o-rings are, but you can still use a 011 - 70.

With quite some lube and some power you will manage to get the inflator connected. Leave it a while on (at least overnight), it will reduce the thickness of the 011 just enough to be able to use it like using the correct one (of course it will be then always a bit more difficult to connect the inflator, disconnecting is easy).

Still better than to throw away the hose.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom