Luau casserole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

art.chick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,
All summer I will be dealing with diving potlucks, having to bring food to share at dive sites where 20+ hungry students & instructors & lecturers need to have good quality nutrition between strenuous dives (including rescue drills).

I am a vegetarian, & so are a couple of others in the group. Last year one girl made a 7-layer mexican casserole with no meat. Can anyone think of other options that will satisfy our veggie needs, add variety, & be easy to transport in a car fulla gear?

It only has to sit in my car from about 6:30am to 1pm....oh, that's quite a while. I guess I could put it in a cooler. I just don't want to be like the young men who will show up with a bag of Doritos or Chips Ahoy.

Bow Tie Pasta Salad
16 ounces uncooked bow ties, rotini, ziti or other shaped pasta
16ounces fozen mixed vegetables
1 cup Italian or creamy Italian salad dressing or whatever you prefer
1 bunch green onions thinly sliced
1 cup pitted olives halved (optional)

Cook Pasta according to package directions:drain
Cook vegetables according to directions:drain
Combine pasta and vegetables with remaining ingredients in large bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Makes about 8 servings. Use more ingredients for larger groups.

Italian food is popular world wide even in the Caribbean, particularly Aruba and jamaica, and the South Pacific, such as Fiji, there are Italian restaurants springing up all over. If you decide to give it a shot let me know how it goes over.

Will people have forks and plates, or is this a dive knives and fingers affair? Pies, quiche and pizza are good if you're eating with your hands, and pizza is pretty indestructable (used to be when I made it, anyway!). Calzone are also good... you make a pizza base and put your topping on one half, then fold the base over and seal the edges. Make small ones and they're even more durable than pizza (and probably healthier... more base and less topping). A spinach and ricotta mixture makes a nice filling. Or how about corn fritters?

Gee, this is making me hungry...

Zept

These are shore-side affairs, & one cannot count on the gang to bring table-ware (thanks for reminding me; if I bring fork-ables, I will have to bring forks! They were forgotten this weekend)

This weekend, I made devilled eggs from the eggs of my pet chickens. They went over OK, but the carne asada made by one of the students with his travelling grill was the most popular dish. Miraculously, the guys didn't completely pollute the lunch with chips & bagged cookies. One bag of each showed up.

Pizza IS a perennial winner, & I may try making some Boboli pizza. The calzone may be a bit of work for 20+ people, but who knows? I may have some Friday night with extra time. The bowtie past will work, too. Keep em coming; I need a whole summer fulla food ideas!

What about a vegetarian version of baked ziti? You can alter the recipe on the box by including zucchini, fresh basil, mushrooms, etc, instead of meat. Saute the veggies first, though, to release the water...divers will eat this cold...

Yes, I think the hungry troops will like that! Thanks!

I was a veg head for 6 years. Then I was invited to P.A. and had a Philly Cheese steak. Fell off the wagon after that.
Here is still one of my favorite veggie meals.
Pad Thai
Quickly boil 1 or 2 packages of rice noodles. Don't over boil or they get mushy.
On the side chop up tofu, broccoli, green onions, open a can of baby corn, and finely slice carrots.
Buy a bottle or make your own peanut sauce.
Stir fry in olive or peanut oil, all the veggies and tofu.
Mix togeher with noodles and peanut sauce.
Don't forget to bring forks or chop sticks.
Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom