Lubing The Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ingreevox

Registered
Reaction score
I bought my bottle of food grade sillicon, and I want to use it on my regulator, but i have a few quesations first. Can you help me?
I own the apeks tx200 and the apeks tx40.

Do you spray after every dive?
Do you push your regbutton and get the sillicon deep inside, or only the immediate inside?
Is there a good general scuba maintanance book out there, that teaches care and nuturing of your invaluable, (live dependant) gear?

thanks ahead of time!

INGREEVOX

KEEP BREATHING!

You don't do anything with it. Your regulator is lubed when the technician does the annual overhaul. Never spray the outside or inside of the regulator with any silicone you will create major problems for your self. Throw the spray silicone out, it has no real use with diving gear......

What are you doing spraying silicone into your regulator?
WHo told you to do that?
You should NOT spray silicone into ANY part of your reg.
NEVER!!!!!!!!

This is the kind of stuff that really scares me. That someone is getting advice like this to take care of their gear...

Waterlover once bubbled...
You don't do anything with it. Your regulator is lubed when the technician does the annual overhaul. Never spray the outside or inside of the regulator with any silicone you will create major problems for your self. Throw the spray silicone out, it has no real use with diving gear......

I do believe some people use it for inside their fins to make them easier to put on and off.

steve

There are lots of uses for silicone spray in diving...but none of them have to do with the regulator. I recently sprayed some onto the spring of all my bolt snaps in the hope that they won't rust out so quickly.

I'd like to know who told you to spray this stuff into your reg. If you are interested in regulators I suggest you take a loot at Vance Harlow's book on reg. maintenance. It's at www.airspeedpress.com

ingreevox once bubbled...
Is there a good general scuba maintanance book out there, that teaches care and nuturing of your invaluable, (live dependant) gear?
Get the book Braunbehrens mentioned from Airspeed Press - it was written by Vance Harlow, and is the best piece of diving literature I've ever read. It will show you how to maintain your regulator.

Who told you to use silicone spray on your regulator? Or was it just a misconception?

Are you cleaning your regulator with warm fresh water after each dive?

Back in 1971 when I was certified, we were taught to take apart our regs (scubapro mark I) and spray the 2 rubber diaphargms with silicone spray. We bought big spray cans of Scubapro silicone spray and lubed up all are gear - mask, fins, regs... Some old timer must have given this outdated advice.
Ah, not me...

Thanks for all the great advice........NOW THE CULPRIT!
It was a dive shop owner who actually mentioned the aforementioned advice. He suggested I buy the stuff from him, and use it, to spray in the reg.
This was not the guy I bought the reg from, but another dive shop owner.
Thankfully, I didnt do it, I decided to ask the board first.
Thanks for all the answers, I really appreciate it.

Heres my new question for ya.
My reg is brand new, and works great, but makes a noise as I inhale.
It is performing great, but the noise wierds me out a bit. The r3eg is a APEKS T200..........
Anyone got an answer?
Thanks in advance!:D

The silicone spray would probably work good on stainless steel dive knives after they've been cleaned....

ingreevox once bubbled...
Heres my new question for ya.
My reg is brand new, and works great, but makes a noise as I inhale.
It is performing great, but the noise wierds me out a bit. The r3eg is a APEKS T200..........
Anyone got an answer?
Thanks in advance!:D

They do that. My Apeks did. Disappears once you get under water, usually. The sound disappeared completely after about 5 dives, too.

Back
Top Bottom