Luggage shipping in Ecuador

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

I'm going on the Galapagos Aggressor with a group of friends in 3 weeks and we were planning to ship our luggage from Canada to Guayaquil by cargo plane a week before our departure. The thing is, a friend told me she'd tried this before and had problems with the customs... Since we arrive in Guayaquil at 23h20 and leave to San Cristobal the next morning we need to make sure our luggage will be cleared from customs when we arrive!

Did any of you have any experience with that kind of stuff? We have only 1 stop in Miami between Montreal and Guayaquil, would it be better to check our bags on the plane with us?

Thanks

People get overworried about luggage sometimes. Yes airlines lose luggage occasionally and it sucks on the rare occasions it happens and it's yours. But especially internationally, in most cases it's going to be cheaper (even if you have to pay an extra baggage fee) and more reliable to take it with you and check it. No worries about delays, customs, whatever. One stop in Miami? As much as we all dump on MIA, hard to imagine how shipping to Guayaquil would be a safer option than that. Especially given your timetable when you get there.

There are ways to make the possibility of lost luggage even lower than it is, such as doing things to make your bags stand out from every other black bag (less likely for someone to accidentally walk off with the wrong bag and easier for the airline to spot it if it does get misplaced.) Multiple tags (in case one gets torn off.) Putting copies of your itinerary in them (since you usually don't want the stuff to get sent back home when you just got your to your destination, or to your destination after you've gotten home.) I'd focus on stuff like that.

As mentioned not sure why you would ship luggage solo. The two of us travel with 4 bags and two carry-ons, total of 280lbs of gear. Yes you may have to pay some overweight charges but I prefer to keep my bags "close". Now that said our bags did not make it to Ecuador with us due to late flights. Galapagos is one of those places it is good to have YOUR gear. If possible give yourself a full 24hrs in Quito so your bags can catch up with you, much cheaper and more comfortable then a week of rental gear.

NorthO, I would not do it that way. Your luggage will probably be caught in customs and scuba equipment inside will ring a bell here. If that happens you will be in trouble. I'd suggest you come to Ecuador a few days in advance of your trip and bring your luggage with you. When luggage does get delayed it is usually 24 to 72 hrs time. Maybe you can come to the Galapagos earlier and do some land based diving until your cruise starts, get to know some of the islands (on land), or just hang out in the mainland. I think this is the safe and cheap way to do this. If you need rental equipment please do not hesitate to let me know, Cheers! Jorge

Thanks everyone!

I think I'll check everything on the plane with me... I don't care about overweight fees, I just want my gear with me! :)

Jorge, though I'd really enjoy visiting the mainland before the liveaboard, it just doesn't fit with my schedule... I'll fit what I can on the carry on and if our bags are lost I'll just rent what's missing! Do you work with aggressor? My girlfriend will need to rent some things...

HI NorthO,
Definitely bring your gear with you, and pay the extra weight fee...I think it´s the safest way to go to hang on to your stuff! I´ve flown from Canada (via Ottoawa and Toronto) and my luiggage has always managed to fly with me! (Knock on wood) Check directly with the boat or your booking agent (as well as Jorge above! ) to see about gear rental for your girlfriend.
Have a great time!

As Jorge said, you do NOT want to ship anything cargo. Customs in Ecuador is the worst. You'll need an agent and a couple of days and stacks of document copies and then it will cost you quite a bit. Dealing with Ecuador customs is a nightmare. Much cheaper and quicker to pay any extra baggage costs. Most international flights allow you 2 bags at 50lbs each plus a carry on that fits into the overhead bin. I wouldn't worry too much about your bags arriving with you, but customs in Ecuador...avoid at all costs.

Just look at it this way, Diving the Galapagos aint cheap and the thought of shipping it by container and losing your dive gear or having it held up in customs would be a nightmare sceanrio and could destroy your whole trip and have you in Galapagos without your dive equipement which would nt be a good scenario at all..

After living in Central America for nigh on 20 years the last thing you want is anything to do with customs in any third world country TRUST ME

Pack light as far as clothes as you wont need much on the boat just a warm sweater for evenings when the temp drops and some t shirts and shorts and one travelling outfit the rest of the stuff can be dive gear and if your overweight PAY IT and keep your gear with you.

You are in for a treat I Love Galapagos Diving as we say in England its the dogs bollocks :D

Gaz Cooper

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom