Lung damage due to Covid 19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for the info...staying informed is very important....

I can't find it on undercurrent. I was going to suggest that mod63 email them about the error as undercurrent is good about making corrections... but like I said, I can't find the article there.
I'm slightly confused, Wetnotes has the original paper which I used for my translation.
German website taucher.net has contacted Frank and he is quite unhappy about other media miss quoting him.

Testing is an issue, here in the hills of California you need to be very sick to be tested, in NYC they seem to be testing house cats, other places have tested tigers, no coordination.
When this first hit here we were trying to decide if we should offer testing. I was against it since we didn’t have the ppe and not likely to get it. After finding out our health department only gets 3 tests at time we decided to try and get tests. We got a grand total of 2 tests. That pretty much settled the question for us. But we do hope eventually to offer antibody testing.

Instead I know many people who want that everyone catches it, so that economy can come back to "normal" ASAP...
I hope to avoid it, although unfortunately I probably had it already.
But getting tested is not easy here, there is just too much request, and so they are testing only people with significant symptoms...
Current testing only reveals whether you have it at the time, it doesn’t test whether you had it or not.

The testing has come a long way. Here in S Florida they already have in place a finger-stick test, results within 15 minutes and they test for active infection and antibodies. As 1st responders we were tested and I'm sure they are making these available for the general population as well.

anybody seen this article? Could it be too early to make conclusions like this? @Dr Simon Mitchell.

Dauerhaft geschädigt - TGR Tagesschau

SD...

Right now...especially in light of articles like this...this topic is/and will be a speculators wet dream...

Having said that...as far as divers are concerned...any diver having contracted COVID-19 should undergo a complete medical examination...especially full lung function testing prior to returning to the sport...doubly important for any recovered COVID-19 patient who was on a respirator...physicians will always make a judgement on the side of caution if anything other than ''complete/full recovery'' is indicated...you know what the replies are going to be...''based on test results............any further diving should not be undertaken...

The problem will come when a diver has been told he/she can no longer dive...does not follow the physicians advice...

I'm sure this will bring a whole new volley of concerns from dive operators as to ''who will be responsible'' when the worst of the worst starts happening...

Thousands upon thousands of people are not listening now...some never will...''indirect cause deaths'' will likely occur for years...

W...

One of my primary concerns about COVID-19 is the potential damage to my lungs and the effect it might have on future diving. My PCP thinks it is possible I may have had it months ago, but if so it was a fairly mild infection with no apparent residual lung damage. However, I'm not taking any chances.

Current testing only reveals whether you have it at the time, it doesn’t test whether you had it or not.
There actually is a test for prior infection. It is called an antibody test and there are several out or out soon. Again, like most of the medical aspects of the coronavirus, they are not fully FDA approved but operating under EUA. The tests available so far are a bit controversial since the FDA requires them to include a warning that they could be cross reactive with other coronaviruses. They also provide a yes no response rather than the more traditional titers used to show immunity to other viruses.

New York antibody study estimates 13.9% of residents have had the coronavirus, Gov. Cuomo says

Important Info on the Use of Serological (Antibody) Tests for COVID-19

I volunteered for the CDC antibody study but have not been selected. I am sure they had a huge response.

There actually is a test for prior infection. It is called an antibody test and there are several out or out soon. Again, like most of the medical aspects of the coronavirus, they are not fully FDA approved but operating under EUA. The tests available so far are a bit controversial since the FDA requires them to include a warning that they could be cross reactive with other coronaviruses. They also provide a yes no response rather then the more traditional titers used to show immunity to other viruses.

New York antibody study estimates 13.9% of residents have had the coronavirus, Gov. Cuomo says

Important Info on the Use of Serological (Antibody) Tests for COVID-19

I volunteered for the CDC antibody study but have not been selected. I am sure they had a huge response.
I volunteered for a CDC COVID-19 antibody study as well but did not get chosen either. I think they where only enrolling 40,000 people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom