• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Lusitania dive accident - insufficient insurance

Discussion in 'Good Causes, Petitions and Solicitations' started by DandyDon, Aug 17, 2019.

1. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Excerpt from Gofundme page: Click here to support Kim Martin’s Road To Recovery - Save A Hero’s Life organized by Pat Shannon
    Brief news story dated August 8: Diver reportedly suffering from 'the bends' airlifted from site of Lusitania wreck

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been moved from the Accidents forum for wider exposure of the need to help this diver, if you are so inclined.

2. michael-fisch

michael-fisch ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    There is no excuse not to have DAN insurance or something compatable.
    I wish him the very best recovery possible and hope that the go fund me page is for non hospital expenses.

Michael

3. chris kippax

chris kippax Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Would DAN insure someone on a 300ft open ocean cold water dive?

4. KenGordon

KenGordon Rebreather Pilot

Definitely, but I am under the impression you’d get potted there for free wherever you are from. That is the case in the U.K. ongoing treatment I am not so sure about.

5. chris kippax

chris kippax Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Thanks Ken
    I thought they would say no for sure!

6. KenGordon

Here, for U.K. residents, DAN Europe - Sport Member it says no depth limits. I think if you look very carefully there is a corner which says you need to post a plan if greater than about 120m or some such.

The absence of stupid depth limits or the requirement to dive with a ‘professional’ is a key advantage of DAN when compared to the casual insurance that comes with travel policies etc.

I am not sure where the injured diver actually lives, but there is more to being hurt than the direct medical costs which DAN and like like cover. Maybe he cannot work or get about without help.

7. michael-fisch

michael-fisch ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Accident happened in Irish waters, and the patient is being treated in an Irish hospital

Michael

8. DandyDon

Yeah, I agree. DAN is a member owned & driven organization, even tho some directors have made fortunes on their involvements at times, and insurance products supplied are furnished by outside companies that bid for the business. Their dive insurance is the only one I like, but I consider it essential for US & Canadian residents.

I presume he had top tier DAN accident insurance for this trip. The top plan in Canada has limits tho, and he may well exceed all of them! He's had two brain surgeries, etc.
    See DAN | insurance: dive

I think UK's medical insurance is for UK citizens. I would not expect anything free if I was there.

KathyV likes this.
  9. KenGordon

We don’t have medical insurance, we have a health system which is free.

If you come here and need emergency treatment it is free too Visitors from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) So if you get in a chamber because of some long term issue you’d be paying but because you corked it from the Moldavia then you’d not pay.

Chambers are a bit complicated as they are often/mostly/all run by outside companies within hospitals but all the publicly available ones are funded by the NHS. That means that if I turn up at one my local health authority (or whatever they are branded as this week) will be getting a bill for £5k or so.

Eventually there is a line between emergency treatment and healthcare. Daily Mirror readers think that people will come and steal healthcare so there are processes in place to waste staff time preventing that, but if you have been hit by a bus you are safe from that initially.

Looking here it looks like the whole NHS manages to recoup about as much as a typical hospital car park takes. NHS trusts call in the bailiffs to chase ineligible patients’ debts

Having said all that I still have DAN cover for diving in other EEA contrives. There is more to a diving accident than the direct medical costs.

10. DandyDon

I guess you're referencing the wreck, not the country, but I'm guessing on the "corked it." I don't know where you live, but you said "we," and my British friends confuse me with some terms they use. I guess you're referencing an uncontrolled ascent? So if I came to the UK, I would not need trip insurance medical coverage?

I don't know what diving insurance this fellow might have had, who set up the Gofundme or why, or for that matter what caused his accident. I see that site referenced at times in cases when people had been too cheap to buy insurance and often ignore those. This fellow seems to be barely on this side of death's door, and I hope he comes out of it a non-vegetable.