LW-PLA for buoyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You absolutely can do single wall prints. Vase mode in Prusaslicer is a great example.

2-3 walls is the default setting for a 0.4 nozzle on various slicers, resulting in a wall thickness of about 1.2mm(depending on layer height setting). Personally, I am a 10 wall guy resulting in 4-4.5mm thick walls for everything I make no matter what my infill setting is. For floats or anything that needs reduced water intrusion that would affect buoyancy, 10 walls is the way to go.

I wasn't generalizing PLA at all. I am referring to the LW-PLA the OP is inquiring about to make buoyant components and floats. LW-PLA is a Specialty PLA formulated, that when extruded, it increases its volume about 3 times reducing its weight 50% by the varied density. For instance, to get a 0.4 wall thickness with LW-PLA, you have to adjust flow down to 50% or less and vary the nozzle temp. At normal flow at a higher temp your wall can end up 1mm to 1.2mm with a single wall count. LW-PLA is a specialty filament that takes a bit of fiddling with design and settings to get right. LW-PLA's intended use is for thin, lightweight, single wall parts for model planes, car bodies and cosplay costume pieces. the parts are are not structurally sound and will only take light loads and stress. So you might get a light part, but it wont withstand any water pressure at depth. Regular PLA is a much better choice.

As I stated earlier in my original statement that "this filament would give no benefit". What I thought was implied was "LW-PLA offers no benefit over regular PLA or any other filament of choice". Hope that clears things up for everyone.

The LW-PLA is really cool stuff. Check out YouTube for instructional videos on settings, design and what people are making with this filament.
I see the confusion. My first post was a response to the guy talking about PLA and when you replied I assumed you were talking about PLA as well, NOT LW-PLA. Makes much more sense...I was genuinely confused why anyone would be saying you should only print PLA single wall.

FWIW, I designed a BOV chin rest specifically to counter the extra weight of the BOV and was able to get the total negative buoyancy equal to a standard DSV. However, my assumption is that at depth (4ata) water ingress will negate any positive buoyancy at 1ata. Haven't tested at depth yet. Printing it watertight would obviously be counterproductive. Could try epoxying the print too, maybe.

I've been trying to source the same material used for uwp floats but it seems like maybe a specialty material.

I've had really good results with PLA Gloop for gluing and sealing printed parts. It is specially made just for PLA. Worth a try. Its easier than fooling around with epoxy and warping your parts as it cures (had that happen once). I have heard that 2 light coats of spray Polyurethane works, but have never tried it.

As for your floats, the ones I've seen are made with EVA foam or a carbon fiber tube . The foam and carbon fiber tubing can be bought on amazon. The foam is high density and chemical resistant so should stand up pretty well. You could make your own tubes with sheets and resin on Amazon as well. Tough part is making the jig for the tube and not getting resin everywhere...lol. My brother used to make his own custom fly rods with carbon fiber. I have never had patience or artistic skill to make anything like that.

I'm sure you will figure something out.

I've had really good results with PLA Gloop for gluing and sealing printed parts. It is specially made just for PLA. Worth a try. Its easier than fooling around with epoxy and warping your parts as it cures (had that happen once). I have heard that 2 light coats of spray Polyurethane works, but have never tried it.

As for your floats, the ones I've seen are made with EVA foam or a carbon fiber tube . The foam and carbon fiber tubing can be bought on amazon. The foam is high density and chemical resistant so should stand up pretty well. You could make your own tubes with sheets and resin on Amazon as well. Tough part is making the jig for the tube and not getting resin everywhere...lol. My brother used to make his own custom fly rods with carbon fiber. I have never had patience or artistic skill to make anything like that.

I'm sure you will figure something out.
I don't think it's EVA, EVA compresses too much. This stuff is much harder. Backscatter Underwater Photography & Video General Plastics (among others) are making proprietary foams for stuff like ROVs and other industrial marine applications. I'll probably start a new thread and stop hijacking OPs thread. 🤣

No, this is all really interesting stuff! I’m well aware of the existing foam options - my desire to print stuff is because I want to make more complex shapes than just a tube, and 3D printing is a lot easier than the subtractive processes.

I’m very curious about that PLA Gloop - I might look into the ABS version and have a go making some watertight structural floats

FWIW, Overture and Polymaker both have pre-foamed LW PLA that doesn't require much more than tweaking retraction settings that may be worth giving a shot.

@ChrisMBC if you have a design, I'd be happy to help test, both different filaments and in water. I have very similar use case.

Back
Top Bottom