LW100 E1 eco - 20l/min

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good day to All,

I am writing to you with the hope that somebody has some ideas to assist me.

Long story short:
Compressor LW100 E1 Eco - was working well for approx 400hrs (oil and filters - as per service manual).
At some point, mechanical issues. Send it to an authorized service... came back in worse condition.
Send it to a friend engineer, he manage to revive him.
The compressor started working just fine but after a few hours, during the process of filling a cylinder, I hear a weird noise... and since then, the compressor is behaving like this:
- from zero to 200bar, with the cylinder valve close (pressure only on wipe and manometer) - approx 3-4 minutes.
- with the cylinder open, from approx 150bar up... it takes ages. Calculated, the flow rate is approx 20l/minute instead of 100l/min.
- I can hear a noise, like air coming thru a broken O-ring... but cannot identify the location (during operation) due to the overall noise and airflow from the cooling fan.
- when full under pressure at 200bar, if the compressor is shut down and the cylinder valve is closed - no pressure is lost or any other noise of escaping gas.

Any hint?
Super very much appreciated your time and support!

Stay safe!

Rule of thumb with these typical 3 stage L&W Alkin Coltri and the like small sport diver compressors is:

Use no more than 40 hours a year running filling around 80 fills a year for a long happy life of 10 years.
That way as most give up diving in the 3 to 5 year period you are still happy with its performance when you sell it on eBay and the second hand buyer is also happy getting the remaining 5 years use.

By contrast if your a dive shop then you bought the wrong compressor.
Either way 10 years life or 400 hours running whatever comes first and your done its dead.

An alternative in the 3 to 6 scfm high pressure range would have been a Mil Spec designed compressor where 8000 hours is the required minimum life expectancy but that would be a very different animal.

As for the L&W replacing the final stage inlet and discharge valve would resolve the problem
for now but you at the beginning of the end.

Back
Top Bottom