Lyang Lyang Island -- Safety Issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KUFan452

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in the beginning stages of planning at dive trip to Layang Layang for March or April 2015. I was considering adding a couple of days in Sidipan, but all of the kidnapping reports are alarming. Plus the permit issue, and being a single female traveler, Sidipan sounds like a no-go.

Does anyone know if there are the same safety issues at Layang Layang or even near the Koba Kinabalu? Am I missing out if I spend the entire week at Layang Layang and not diving the east side of Borneo?

On a non-diving note, has anyone been to Sepilok Nature Reserve to see the orangutans?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I
Does anyone know if there are the same safety issues at Layang Layang or even near the Koba Kinabalu?

Not that I am aware of, you still have more than 9 months to go, personally I would not be concerned.

Am I missing out if I spend the entire week at Layang Layang and not diving the east side of Borneo?

Absolutely

Sepilok Nature Reserve: If thats the one near Sandekan then yes I have been there. It's Ok but everything is a bit staged at thefeeding area. Beware some of the local monkey population can be a bit agressive if you are carying any foor. Yes feeding wild animals is a recipe for disaster.

Sipadan
Given all the bad PR that Malaysia is having at present there may not be an issue with permits. Sugest you wait a while before making a decision and see how it pans out.

I was at Layang Layang in April... superb dive experience... do not worry about terrorists/kidnappers from Philippines as Layang Layang is no where near the insurgents' islands. Furthermore, Layang Layang has a small naval base at the other end of the runway.

I wouldn't recommend going over to Sipadan/mabul as things aren't looking good right now.... I myself have postponed plans to dive there. Shall wait till the government comes up with a better security solution.

Theres no security issues in Layang layang. Its safer than your hotel room in KK, thats a guarantee. First of all, U need at least 2 weeks to purely enjoy the best of Layang layang, Sipadan, and Sepilok. Why?

Firsly, the amount of flying and travelling u need between these 3 places. KK to Layang layang, Layang layang back to KK, KK to Tawau, and so on. Plus, after diving, U need some no fly time, so roughly add an extra night in between diving and flying.
Secondly, the permit issue. Sipadan only issue 120 permits perday. These permits are allocated for guests at all the resorts nearby, on a round robbin basis. The longer u stay, the more probability of U getting the chance to buy the permits. Theres no guarantee of permits if U stay for only 3 days.

My suggestion is that to try to find 2 weeks. Start off from KK to Layang layang. stay there for 5 days, no more. Why? because layang layang is very very scuba oriented. no activity on offer other than scuba. and the island itself was actually only a small atoll with some sand bars. It now consists or reclaimed land with an airstrip, a navy base, and a sole dive resort. staying too long will get you boring. go diving the first 4 days and rest for the final night, as the no fly time. Then fly back to KK and continue to Tawau. From tawau take a boat 45mins to Mabul. Stay in Mabul for at least a week, minimum. Why? Because of the Sipadan permits of course. The longer U stay, the higher chance to get a permit. So if you stay for a week, U may get 2 permits. 1 permit meaning 4 dives per day. So by staying for a whole week and getting 2 permits, U can dive Sipadan for a total of 8 dives. Surely, one or more of those 8 dives will be your highlight of the trip. That leaves us with 5 remaining days. U can go diving Mabul or Kapalai or anything in between. If U plan to go to straight back to KK after Mabul, U need to allocate an extra night for the no fly time. If U plan to go to Sepilok on the other hand, U need to go to Tawau or Sampoerna, and go for a 4 hour drive up to Sepilok. Spend a day or 2 there. Then, U can continue via roads back to KK from Sepilok for 6 hours, or go back to Tawau for 4 hours before catching a flight back to KK. Spend the last couple days in KK town and remember all the epicness of Layang layang, Sipadan and Sepilok while waiting for your flight out from Sabah. cheers i hope i helped.

---------- Post added August 11th, 2014 at 07:40 AM ----------

if U wonder why it needs 2 permits to best enjoy Sipadan? well for me, if I have travelled halfway around the globe and get only a single permit, that is a poor gamble. What if your permit falls on the day of the biggest thunderstom in Sipadan? U think that U will get another permit or a refund? hehehe...or if your permit falls on the day where unfortunately all the cudas go hiding or the day that Sipadan had poor viz, or choppy seas....these are the things U need to consider. By staying longer and getting more permits, your trip would less likely to be a disappointing one. peace out.

ps-I am writing all this with assumption that by the time U arrived in Sabah, the current security issues on the East Coast will no longer be a problem. if its not, then u can make do with only one week. Just skip diving Sipadan, and spend 4 days in Layang layang, 2 days in Sepilok Reserve, and another for resting or one day for KK. cheers.

Back
Top Bottom