Lycra suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tresguey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Do lycra suits really help out much when donning a wetsuit? I have a once used 7mm wet suit that I just tried to get into today. I had one heck of a time trying to squeeze into it. I do know I have gained weight, But not that much. So would it be worth buying a lycra suit? or do I just need a new wet suit. I don't even want to try to get in my dry suit at this point. :idk:

I have tried them and not liked them. I too gained weight over the winter and has to buy a new wetsuit in the spring. Did you try a mix of dishsoap and water? I do a heavy mix of dishsoap and water in a spray bottle for my son. He can spray it in the arms and legs and slide right in.

I always thought lycra suits were helpful for getting into a wetsuit, back when I used a wetsuit. If the wetsuit has "shrunk" though :eyebrow: - that help can only go so far...

I think I will ask my neighbor if he has a lycra suit I can try. He used to work for US divers in R&D and has a grip of cool stuff. Just doesn't dive anymore.

Thanks for the advice.

I got a pair of XS Scuba Lycra socks and just that made it much easier to get into my 7mm Pinnacle. I also where a Lycra rash guard t-shirt that protects me from the sun. Don't know if that does much for getting it on easier, but the socks definitely helped.

Yes - and the wetsuit is supposed to be tight. If you only gained "a little" I'd try the lycra suit.

The soapy solution also works. The nice part about that, on the third day of boat diving you still smell good.

Hello everyone! I would suggest using a wetsuit made out of bioprene. AKA Yamamoto neoprene. It stretches up to 513% whereas normal neoprene only stretches 60-80% This allows it to take many different sizes as well as retain heat more effectively. You can check out all the specs at the Swish Suits site! Cheers guys and I hope you have great dives this year!

In my experience Yamamoto rubber is inferior to Rubatex. It is my understanding that Yamamoto rubber is chemically blown (has this changed?) and thus ages faster. In any case it is MUCH MORE COMPRESSIBLE, thus nowhere near as warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom