Lynx Shipping Status??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric, I asked before and Liquivision told me that there is no risk of affecting the marine life with the sound frequency used by the Lynx Transmitter. Now this make me think that (if a snapping shrimp and boat sonar systems caused this issue with the Lynx) would be possible for the lynx to cause similar issues to the marine life that rely on sound/sonar communications like dolphins, whales, some invertebrates? Something like this? "Low Frequency, Cause for Concern" Marsha L. Green, Ph.D. Ocean Mammal Institute. OMI: The US Navy's Low Frequency Active Sonar: Cause for Concern

The Lynx does not annoy marine mammals.

Low frequency boat sonar (50KHz) will not annoy marine mammals.

Medium frequency boat sonar and fish finders (200KHz) will severely annoy/interfere with dolphin sonar and these are used all over the world. Snapping shrimp emit broadband acoustic noise which will interfere with and annoy dolphins and whales.

The low frequency navy sonar that kills marine mammals is totally different from the Lynx, firstly it is very low frequency (< 2KHz), secondly it is extremely high power (designed to kill humans in enemy submarines).

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

The low frequency navy sonar that kills marine mammals is totally different from the Lynx, firstly it is very low frequency (< 2KHz), secondly it is extremely high power (designed to kill humans in enemy submarines).

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Wow, that is the first I have heard that any sonar is designed to kill humans inside a submarine and not just to detect the submarine. If you are willing to state that then what other misinformation are you willing to spread in order to sell your product?

I believe he means, Navy sonsars are designed to use power levels to detect subs and then the target can be destoryed and therefore the crew inside....

Sonars use massive energy and comparing it to what a small battery powered unit generates, lets be realistic ....

I believe he means, Navy sonsars are designed to use power levels to detect subs and then the target can be destoryed and therefore the crew inside....

Sonars use massive energy and comparing it to what a small battery powered unit generates, lets be realistic ....

I am not comparing a sonar to a small battery powered unit, I am well aware of the differences in power levels and don't believe that the Lynx would cause any problems. I still believe that anyone that will tell one lie in a sales pitch will tell more than one. He posted a bold statement and unlike you I am taking it at face value not trying to interpret it to make better. Are my "high powered" binoculars designed to kill deer since I have used them to detect deer before using a rifle to shoot them?

I am not comparing a sonar to a small battery powered unit, I am well aware of the differences in power levels and don't believe that the Lynx would cause any problems. I still believe that anyone that will tell one lie in a sales pitch will tell more than one. He posted a bold statement and unlike you I am taking it at face value not trying to interpret it to make better. Are my "high powered" binoculars designed to kill deer since I have used them to detect deer before using a rifle to shoot them?

The technology I am referring to is something called an acoustic weapon. The most common and well known acoustic weapon is the LRAD (check it on wikipedia). The Navy ultra low frequency sonar is publicly stated to be used as a means of detecting subs at long range. However at very close range there is speculation that it would kill not only a dolphin/whale, but a person as well. Given that acoustic weapons are entering common use, it is rather plausible that various navies around the world are investigating them. But that is beyond the scope of our discussion. The product we are marketing is essentially a 'micropower' device compared to any long range sonar device. I mentioned earlier that standard fish finders are much higher power and in a worse frequency band than the Lynx anyway; so, any effect the Lynx would have on marine life would be dramatically less than a fish finder.

Radio waves and sound waves can both be used to communicate, and they can both be used as a type of 'radar' (or sonar) to detect objects. They can both be focused into extremely intense beams that injure living creatures. Focused microwave weapons are also in development just as focused acoustic weapons.

Eric Fattah

This:
any effect the Lynx would have on marine life would be dramatically less than a fish finder.

and this:

The Lynx does not annoy marine mammals.

are not necessarily saying the same thing. Is it no annoyance, or, an effect "dramatically less than a fish finder" that you think/hope/would like to think won't be sufficient to annoy?

Question about the location transmitter. reading thru the specs, it appears that the location transmitter attaches to a HP port, I understand that this would be applicable for the "boat" to track the divers, however if we wish to "mark the anchor" do we need to send down and a tank and regulator? can you describe the operation for this type of transmitter? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom