Mac or PC? Corel or what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used and old Dell Notebook PC with Nikon NX2 Software to process photos for more than a few years. After looking at some of my work on a Mac with a Retina screen, I made a switch last year to a Macbook Pro with a Retina Screen. I had the Aperature software installed on it at the time of purchase and have produced some good editing work with it. One of these days I might switch to Light Room.The digital imaging lab I use also uses Macs with Retina screens. When I take photos in and we preview the work I am submitting, what I see on their monitors is the same as what I have seen on my Macbook Pro.The hard drive on My Macbook is not huge. RAW photos consume a lot of storage space. I store the majority of my RAW images on a couple of external hard drives. I typically store duplicate files on two external hard drives.-AZTinman

MacBook Pro with 16gb ram and 1TB SSD (~75mb raw files take some hardware!). Edits in Lightroom and Photoshop CC.

Go through basic workflow (including delete out of focus/bad/whatever) on trips without much issue. Final edits at home using a calibrated external IPS monitor.

Also:
I take a 3TB usb 3 drive to backup MacBook daily (time machine)
I use CF cards until full then switch them out, leaving files on them for backup 2
SD slot set as backup to CF - 3rd backup.

Since the topic of discussion has expanded to include considerations of memory, data storage and backup, I'll mention my system.
Photo editing software needs lots of RAM to run efficiently. My desktop system currently has 16 MB of RAM, and I plan to upgrade to 64 MB as the prices get better. The older laptops that I use are stuck at 4MB, and can only run LR 2, with a brief simple roundtrip through PS CS4 if absolutely necessary. Most of the tine, I'll limit remote image editing to cataloging my images, discarding the obvious throwaways, and simple color correction to judge the camera settings for future shooting. My next laptop will have 16MB of RAM and a 512GB solid state drive.
The disk space on my desktop system is partitioned to support a comprehensive data storage and backup scheme. My Mac Pro has 256GB of high speed PCIe Flash that is used exclusively for OS and application storage. All user data resides in a pair of 2TB drives striped as a RAID 0 array in an external Thunderbolt enclosure. The Flash and User drives are backed up hourly using the Mac OS Time Machine feature to a pair of 4TB drives in a RAID 1 (mirror) array in a separate enclosure. The User data is also cloned nightly onto a 4TB drive. I've learned that drive mechanisms and enclosures eventually fail. Therefore I use separate enclosures as well as separate drives to make sure I can recover my data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that regardless of Mac or PC, the memory and backup is really integral part of photography/videography these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom