Machining Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaru_Steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I just started my major as an Automated Machining Engineer. I am only working on the Vertical mill and in a few weeks the lathe (Eventually CNC and several other devices). So I was curious what I could make for scuba diving. Of course nothing like a regulator, first stage, etc. Just some accessory for below. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Spools would be a pretty easy project. So would backplates, single tank adapters, etc.

Spools would be a pretty easy project. So would backplates, single tank adapters, etc.

I never thought of doing a backplate. That could save me some cash. Now if I were to make a few and sell them, does this forum have a policy that I would need to become a "Vendor"? I have no intentions but am just curious.

No, you could advertise them in the gear section. Just be clear to people what they are buying to avoid any hassles.

I never thought of doing a backplate. That could save me some cash. Now if I were to make a few and sell them, does this forum have a policy that I would need to become a "Vendor"? I have no intentions but am just curious.

For the time you would spend making a backplate you could buy one for $75 to $100 and save a lot of headaches... Now, I know the whole do-it-yourself feeling as I too enjoy it, but there are some things just worth paying for.

:rofl3: Trust me, nothing you make will be cheaper than you can buy it for unless it's not made anymore or highly custom.....now that never stops me, I have plenty of cost twice as much projects done, just don't expect to be able to do it cheaper. The one BP exception is a plastic BP. Cut a section of heavy wall PCV pipe, flatten in an oven and machine down. Makes a nice, solid and inexpensive plastic BP.....and it will not chew up milling bits or when you mess up, the wasted material cost are not bad..

I'll give you your first commission. I need a stainless tube about 6.5" ID, open and chamfered on the top, very round and smooth on the inside with a closed end (flat). Thickness of tube about 3/16"-1/4" 403 stainless? something marine.

-matt

I'll give you your first commission. I need a stainless tube about 6.5" ID, open and chamfered on the top, very round and smooth on the inside with a closed end (flat). Thickness of tube about 3/16"-1/4" 403 stainless? something marine.

-matt

Why not plastic Delrin? Cheaper and easier to machine?

:rofl3: Trust me, nothing you make will be cheaper than you can buy it for unless it's not made anymore or highly custom.....now that never stops me, I have plenty of cost twice as much projects done, just don't expect to be able to do it cheaper. The one BP exception is a plastic BP. Cut a section of heavy wall PCV pipe, flatten in an oven and machine down. Makes a nice, solid and inexpensive plastic BP.....and it will not chew up milling bits or when you mess up, the wasted material cost are not bad..

Actually I get 90% of the metal I want for FREE :cool2: haha. So cost really isn't an issue with a prototype for myself.

Back
Top Bottom