macho attitude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a divemaster working on becoming an instructor and here are a few things I've learned along the way:

1. Students show fear in many different ways. They may verbally lash out at you as your ex-friend did; they may start skipping classes; they may make up a million reasons why their equipment is the reason they can't do a skill (in which case you should attempt to do the skill using their equipment just to make sure it's functioning properly); or they may do another behavior that is "out of character" for them.

2. Most students just need a little one-on-one work to overcome their fears.

3. Sometimes you get a student who simply isn't suited to diving, looks like you've come across that one already. Sympathize with them and let them know that when it comes to a sport like scuba it's ok to quit if they don't feel comfortable and you aren't upset by their decision to go.

4. Even though you are "just" a DM in training the students will look up to you because you have experience. Remember, ALL of this is new to the OW student and most will be amazed by your stories of diving. "Boring" dives to you are still fascinating to them, tell whatever stories you have.

5. Some students will feel more comfortable confiding in you than the instructor. Since the instructor does the "grading" in the class some students don't feel comfortable mentioning that they are afraid. They seem to think that will make the instructor not want to certify them. However, they will probably want someone to know and to help them and they will come to you, believe me. Listen carefully and ease their fears to the best of your ability. If it's something you can't handle, speak to the instructor in private and get back with the student with an answer.

For me the best part of diving is working with students, you learn so many new things! Good luck to you, keep us posted, things will get better!
Ber :bunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom