Macro Lens Setup Recommendations for Canon G16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avengedkevinfold

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a fantasea fg16 housing. I am interested in purchasing a macro lens. I am debating a Subsee +5 or +10 or a bluewaterphoto +7. I would like to be able to focus from a distance. Which lens would be best for my needs?

Also, is there an inexpensive flip adapter that I can use? I saw this one below but it screws to the bottom so will interefere with my plate. Also it doesnt seem the neoprene cover can be used to protect dome port when it is mounted.
Howshot M67 Mount Base FG16 for Fantasea G16 housing

Thanks

I do not know about the lens, but the case has a underwater removable 67mm lens mount so u do not need the flip. It does take a minute to remove on a dive. You do need a lensholder for the mount.

We have the subsee +5+10. We use and like the +10 much more

Hi!

I have the Canon G16 with the Fantasea Housing. I bought the bluewaterphoto +7 and am very happy with it.

Fantasea do a clip on adaptor which I am happy with - it is easy to clip on and off during a dive and you just screw the +7 onto it; which makes it easy to use for small and bigger creatures. The images are very crisp throughout the frame. It is also a lot less bulky than the other ones you mention.

If you go for the Subsee, go for the +10 - or get the +7 and +10 and go super macro ;D

Have fun :D

Beware of the intensity of the +10 subsee. I know someone who bought it for her g15 setup and the magnification was too much for her taste. Like the pupil of a tiny specimen - tiny. I have the dyron +7 (same as the Bluewater lens I believe) for the g15 and at its maximum magnification it is more than enough for me. I can get a shot of just a nudibranch's head and rhinosphores to fill the entire frame

Thanks for your responses. I have decided on the Bluewater +7. On another note, I am looking for a lens cap or neonprene cover to protect the 67mm macro lens when mounted to my strobe arm. And ideas?

Here's the gear I'll be using.
67mm Lens - Bluewater +7 wet macro lens diopter | Bluewater Photo & Video
67mm Adapter - Fantasea 67mm adapter for Fantasea G15, G16 housing, F-series Eyedaptor | Bluewater Photo & Video
67mm Strobe Mount - Fantasea Line EyeGrabber F Series | 4057 | Samy's Camera

Seems like the subsee macros come with a lens cap? Can these be bought separately?

post-18414-1333744430.jpg

subsee-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom